PP: AMC & OLTL to air twice weekly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IMO, it won't. Loyal fans will watch through almost anything, and given that the shows were cancelled, I think most dedicated fans will continue to support. It will also give new fans a chance to find the show. It doesn't mean I like it, but it is what it is.

I also think that there is another factor in play. AMC was supposed to have 70 shows completed after it's 7 week combined taping schedule, and according to Vincent I. they only had 47 in the can because to create the quality they have been producing in a brand new studio with some new crew and cast thrown in with veterans, in front and BTS, has been taking much longer than anticipated originally by production. Hence, they cut the number of episodes being aired, and also realize that they will still keep loyal viewers as well as possibly picking up more while they play catch up on production.

• Members

I don't think the episode reduction will hurt show loyalty, per se, as long as the audience are satisfied with whatever they're watching. If anything, the reduction might help attract viewers who were put off by having to watch so many episodes per week. Of course, the irony in THAT is if you start watching and you like what you see, you just end up wanting more, lol. Ex: Me, and KNOTS LANDING.

• Members

I don't know about other viewers, but I was a lapsed AMC viewer. Through the years, and the various head writers, I'd lost interest in this iconic show. With the reboot, I really got excited and watched all the episodes the first two weeks. But after PP's announcement about reduced episodes, and on the heels of that the change in head writers (I liked the stories from the current head writers), I said to heck with it and dropped the two a week episodes.

• Members

Chapter 5 recap is it a recap of chapter 5 of everything that happened between Chapters 1 - 5. Anyway it looks like AMC now has everything marked with Season 1 and episode numbers along with the chapters, though I don't like the More episodes being counted as episodes, but I digress.

The reduction hurts if it effects the way things flow episode to episode (the breaks seem so long) and it does hurt the loyalty factor for some. Less to discuss/digest and if the story goes in a particular direction less to be interested in, as if you aren't into what is being presented there is less time to possibly see what you do like.

• Members

Silly to you, makes all the sense in the world to me. I want a soap that airs more than twice a week, especially when it's only half an hour. Also, after these two latest decisions of PP, I've lost faith in their ability to keep the franchise up and running past a few more months. Why get invested when it's just going to end, much sooner than anyone ever expected. For rabid fans of the show, I hope it doesn't end. But anyone looking at this objectively would have to say it doesn't look that good. Just saying.

• Members

I think that loyal and dedicated viewers will continue BUT trying to get new viewers to get into the show might not happen with the cutting down to just 2 episodes per week. Loyal and dedicated viewers are not thrilled alot over the Friday More show but it is what it is. Alas, the summer slump is fast approaching......

• Members

I think this article is rather enlightening. I do think that we will be looking for a Reboot the Reboot scenario. New headwriters and changing Major Storylines and I do think there will have to be a couple of returning actors in the new shows being written because all polling suggests Tad, Erica and a few others, Frankie, will have to come back and even maybe we will get 1 more episode per week to bring it to 3. The show has to grow and expand for success.

• Members

If such a large part of the audience is new viewers, then it makes sense to me, to modify when each new episode airs and at what rate. Many Internet viewers (the Hulu-ers and the Netflix-ers) tend to binge view and I can't see them setting aside space to view episodes five days a week.

I myself am a relatively new viewer. I was familiar with many of the shows characters growing up but I didn't watch at any consistent rate until the last year and a half that the show was on ABC. And when I heard that these shows were definitively set to return--honestly, I thought they would role out like a Season cycle. I was surprised when I heard they were doing four episodes per week.

PP must figure out what works for these shows. It's probably not going to be like House of Cards (even though people are fond of making comparisons) since House of Cards has a vastly larger budget. It might not be like the standard primetime series, and it probably won't be like Downton Abbey either. Most likely, I'm thinking PP will find a medium somewhere in the middle.

It's a new medium and it's still somewhat experimental so I am adjusting my expectations accordingly, as long as quality episodes are truly the goal.

Archived