AMC: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Members

I just noticed. Does anyone else find it a little strange how the AMC/OLTL facebook pages with 500k+ fans haven't posted direct links to the episodes on Hulu? I mean...shouldn't they do that? unsure.png LOL

Or maybe they just want to avoid the "How do I press play?" etc, etc comments...

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

Hulu can trace your viewing habits on their site even without having an account. Every website places a cookie on your computer, which then allows it to note your browsing of their sites and what pages you visit most. Based on that, if someone watches AMC and then clicks on videos featuring Family Guy or American dad, they might guess you're a man and cater certain male generated ads to you. With OLTL they can see you like Revenge or Once Upon a Time and figure you're a female or a family person and give you some Disney ads. Just a wild guess though.

iTunes can semi-trace your demo based on your purchase history and your sex (you have to indicate whether you are male or female). Based on that, they can determine based on my purchases that I'm a Male 18-34, who watches X show and listens to Y type of music.

I was under the impression that it was five years from the time David went to prison for killing someone. So, more or less it is the anniversary. In fact, IIRC, the press release we go about the five year jump it seemed to indicate that much.

• Members

LMFAO. They really should though, that's a very good point.

Ps, was Dimitri's return confirmed? I can't remember now, I remember he went to the premiere and he was on the IMDB page or something but I could've sworn someone said he was doing at least one episode.

• Members
True and I love the irony! I wonder if AJ knows the history with those three? Oh and I can't wait for JR to get in the mix for the circle of irony (and jealousy, resentment and regret) to be complete.

ETA: Was Kathy raised in the Chandler Mansion too?

• Members

Well, there's an "island," and there are people having intimate interactions with others. Clearly, from day one, everyone is still feeling some kind of effect from what happened five years ago at the party. However -- and no shade to OLTL but only to use it as an example -- do we really need to see everyone at a club? Do we really need to see everyone at the hospital fretting over a girl who overdosed? It's about reestablishing Pine Valley and everyone who lives there. Sometimes, their lives don't intersect and overlap. In our own lives we live next door to people and our lives don't cross over any more than a "Good morning!" or "Let me help you with that bag..." type of way -- when there could've been one hell of a story leading up to those interactions. That's life. My belief is that All My Children had gotten to a point where it had been focused too much on EVENTS rather than character driven drama.

Angie, for example. We're establishing that she's happy. We're establishing that she misses her children. We're establishing that she feels she's come through so much and is now in a safe place... only to make the realization that her daughter has been kidnapped even MORE heartwreching when we see her learn this. This is how you, ideally, develop a character based story and reaction. We're supposed to see this woman smiling and talking to a friend and colleague with joy and happiness and feel "but what she doesn't know is about to sneak up on her..." And she can't do that if she's busy in other stories.

• Members

I think it would have been less clunky and better for the viewer if someone actually said it is the five year anniversary - that OTN would work better, IMO.

I understand that Hulu and itunes gathers data, I was just wondering why someone on the board was speculating that one soap over the other is gaining new viewers while the other has older viewers, which we, the general population, would have no clue about - but I appreciate your further explanation.

• Members

Do you know if the writers are writing for demos or total viewers? At one time didn't soap writers focus on Total Viewers and the strongest Demos determined the add's? Also, will Toups report the ratings with the network ratings? It would be funny if they were higher than Y&R!! How much is nielson involved?

Also, I thought you were 40!! Didn't know you were in my age group!!!

• Members

I really enjoyed it and have my fingers crossed Cassandra doesn't end up like Katie Cassidy's did in Taken... I don't know where that is going but it has me intrigued so I'm eager to see the next episode.

• Members

Wow, the Chandler house is packed. Adam, Brooke, AJ, Dixie... was Tad living there before he left town too (I am convinced he is not dead). Perhaps even Bianca, Miranda, Gabby (just based on the first episode scenes)... I guess it's called a mansion for a reason. I know that if I lived through a murder, I would have moved out and torn down that house to its foundation.

I am intrigued about Celia's guardian. I do hope that it is a person from Pine Valley's past. I was really hoping that Evelyn was going to turn out to be Kelly Cole too, but that is looking unlikely. I don't know why they couldn't just have Kelly play the role of headmistress. She has bene off canvas for long enough, and I thought that in one of her 80's appearences (when Brooke stays with her to get away from Tom) that she mentioned being a librarian.

I wish they gave a location to where Jake/Amanda and Joe/Ruth moved. Seattle always seems to be the Agnes Nixon default.

I am running on the assumption that Marissa is dead. But why would Marissa's deat effect Brooke, Dixie, and Ruth so badly that they are having nightmares/ do not want to be in Pine Valley anymore. I am so worried that they killed off Jamie Martin. OMG, I hope the writers did not kill off a double legacy (a Martin and Tyler) character fresh off the bat! Especially one that is so easily recastable, and has so much potential in terms of storyline.

Have we done an inventory or who we know is alive/ the potential victims? Based on what I am seeing/reading?

Safe: Jesse, Angie, Natalia, Frankie, Amanda, Jake, Joe, Ruth, Dixie, Adam, Brooke, Colby, Zach, Kendlal, Griff, Cara, David, JR, Bianca, Opal, I am also putting Erica/Jack on this list

Potential Victims: Marissa (I think the writing is on the wall with this one), Scott, Madison, Randi, Brot, Greenlee, Ryan, Liza, Krystal, Tad, Jamie

• Members
Don't get me wrong, I love the rebuild of characters and relationships - and it feels like AMC in tone. But the show was/is also about community, one of the things I love(d) about it, and I'm hoping that the block taping isn't preventing more mingling.

Today, Dixie showed up at Chandler Mansion, and Joe visited with Angie - I'd like someone to stop in at Cortlandt Manor besides Pete - that kind of thing at least to start - show us that it is a town that is starting to heal, etc.

Archived