AMC: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some of my thoughts from episode 2:

• Loved Bianca/Miranda!
  • Dixie is annoying
  • I did wonder if Celia's guardian could possibly be Dimitri since we heard he's coming back.

My latest theory - and I can't believe no one else has mentioned it yet:

Celia just said that she hands out condoms to prostitutes... she is CLEARLY going to be the one who runs into a beaten, trafficked Cassandra at the Miranda Center, and the bad guys may end up coming after her because she's young, naive, attractive, etc. I can already see it: Celia tells Brooke about these women and convinces her to do a story about it for Tempo. Bianca and Miranda will be over at the Miranda Center for something and will get pulled into the story too. They are going to pull most of the cast into this story. Mark my words.

• Members

I'm impressed. The tone and mood feels like All My Children is supposed to feel. Pine Valley is certainly looking more like itself than it has in the better part of two decades... Like others have mentioned, I'm also a longtime viewer, so the sentimental part of me is wowed. But if I put that aside, it's still pretty intriguing.

I really like the imagery of the opening, and the theme song works. No, it's not the classic Billy Barber theme, but its message fits All My Children's identity - and it is more modern and probably appealing to potential new viewers. The only things I would change is switching to a slicker, less generic font for the character names... the current one looks dated and stodgy. And the "couples" shots: opening credits shouldn't try to prompts viewers as to who to root for, and to a new viewer, pairing JR with his mom is probably confusing, lol... It's better to stick to all individual character frames, and let 2 of them appear on the screen at once - like with Adam & Brooke or AJ & Miranda. I hope they'll refine it a bit. (I'll give this to AMC - their opening is light years ahead of OLTL's - whose new theme music alone falls way short of any reasonable expectations!)

Perfectionism aside, I'm really happy AMC is back... It feels like it's telling its story without restraints. Pure and effortless, free of pretense and gimmicks... Who knew how different things could be when you're freed from the shackles of Brian Frons / ABC Daytime?

• Members

It's funny but I think the show can come across right now as both slow and fast-paced. I think the slowness some people are commenting on has a lot to do, as others have mentioned, with the fact that this is their introductory period. They have a lot of 'splaining to do, Lucy. tongue.png That's why we're getting all the conversations about absent characters and relatives. I think that will change soon enough.

On the other hand, some of the timing is really fast. Jesse was no sooner out of the house then boom, he's at the airport. Some characters can run all over town in the same time it takes Angie to offer Dr. Joe a cookie. I think that pacing is a combination of 1) there are less characters and less stories that need attention and 2) the occurrences and placement of the commercials on Hulu are less frequent than they would be on tv. Somehow it would have seemed a longer period of time had passed if a commercial had happened between Jesse leaving the house and Jesse being at the airport. The scenes themselves also seem shorter, less dragged out, despite all the exposition. I feel like they're not wasting time just having conversations, they are saying exactly what they need to say to establish who and what the characters are about and what's become of those absent.

One thing I'm wondering about, given that Matthew Cowles was at the premiere party and lives in CT, is if the ole pimp Billy Clyde is the one behind Cassandra's abduction or will enter into that story somehow. Yeah, he's "dead", whatever that means. But, still, I wonder...

• Members

I'm thrilled and not at all surprised that AMC is #1. Even though OLTL was getting higher ratings in the daytime, the last time I saw SoapNet's numbers, AMC was second only to Y&R there.

I'm also grateful and impressed that the AMC I knew and loved is back. I don't think it's just sentimentality either. I watched today's episode a second time to see what others were calling blah and to me the episode moved along well. If I hadn't read any spoilers, I would be intrigued by the Cassandra storyline and I loved the conversations between Bianca/Miranda, Dixie/AJ and Angie/Joe. As I said earlier, I thought it was solid.

• Members

My thoughts:

Bianca/Miranda were a very cool echo of Mona/Erica.

Pete is hot, but the obsession over a girl who may or may not still be in HS is kind of creepy.

Loved Jane.

Like Celia, but her having the emotional maturity of a 12 year old AND being in this preordained pairing with Pete is...creepy.

I want to know if Evelyn and Brooke have met personally and if Brooke has told Evelyn that she is a dead ringer for her cousin Linc's wife, who also had a dead ringer.

ITA that one of the hookers Celia (and Brooke) help at the Miranda center will end up being the key to cracking the Cass story.

Interested in why Zach isn't keen on PV.

I want to know whose grave hot-mess Dixie is visiting.

Love AJ and LOVE the irony of him being raised to be what looks like a functional kid by the trio of hot mess Dixie, traumatized Brooke and Adam.

• Members

Dan at SOC tweeted yesterday that he thinks he helped like 80 people figure out how to get to the show. The stupidity has been boggling to say the least.

I was also wondering how AJ appears to be "normal" so far considering who has been raising him the last several years and having his parentage. We might see cracks once JR gets out of his coma.

• Members

I don't think the Petey/Celia story is intended to be creepy. I just think the execution is poor. She made him believe that she is a HS graduate.

EDIT:

EROLL FIX THIS GOD DA#N BOARD BECAUSE ALL THIS DOUBLE POSTING CRAP IS GETTING TO ME!!!! I DON'T CARE HOW LONG IT TAKES OR IF YOU HAVE TO RESTART SON TOGETHER COMPLETELY JEPERDIZING ALL POSTS UP TO THIS POINT IN FUC#!N& TIME!!

• Members

Ok to clarify ONE LAST TIME: Celia is 18, she is NOT underage. She is a tutor, she is NOT a student, she commented to Evelyn about having to reschedule her session. She took a gap year after high school and before college. If anyone is still confused, so help me, you're gonna get bitch slapped across the face by me harder than Erica Kane.

Archived