AMC: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As a matter of fact, Darn, you're right. Curiosity got the better of me, so I watched the first two episodes of "All My Children: The New Class." (Actually, to be more specific, I watched the first 1.5 episodes. As soon as Alfred Vanderpoole's annoying niece, Heather, started chatting up Pete(y), I ran out the door faster than you could say, "JANE IS KENDALL!")

• Members

I think the show would have to choose between Annie and Emma. There's no way they can believably bring on MCE's Annie and a sorased Emma to hang with AJ and Miranda. We've already suspended disbelief over a cliff with Binks/Mimo and Dixie/JR/AJ.

• Members

True. But Alfred Vanderpoole never would have become one of my all-time fave AMC characters had he been played by a lesser actor. Two minutes with "Heather," and I'm ready to throw her back into the Stock Canadian Made-for-TV Movie Characters bin where she belongs. (Sorry, Eric.)

• Members

By the way, Heather isn't the only reason I won't watch any more of "The New All My Children." (Although, she is on the loose, so the threat looms large.) There are plenty of reasons I won't watch again; and Jordan Lane Price's godawful impression of a skilled actress is near the top of that list. (Oh, poor Frankie James. Her big acting comeback, and she's playing second fiddle to AMC's answer to Mischa Barton on "The O.C.")

• Members

I thought Heather was more interesting and talented in her half of an episode than Celia's been in 3 full episodes. And she's no worse than most bit parts on soaps. I find singling her out as a problem just plain odd.

Jordan Lane Price isn't the problem with Celia right now, it's the godawful obvious dialogue they've given her. It's very "This is exactly how I feel at this very moment and I'm going to express it directly to you!". It's lazy writing.

I haven't enjoyed a teen on a soap in nearly 10 years but AJ and Miranda have totally won me over. I hope Miranda gets a big story, I think this could be a star making role for that actress.

• Members

I thought Celia had much better stuff today than yesterday. She worked for me. That kind of character is dangerous, though, if done wrong - if the actor doesn't have the right spark, that sort of gothic heroine becomes just this beautiful object and I've seen that happen on more than one soap, particularly new soaps, where the character becomes this unattainable, remote creation which ultimately is not viable long-term and gets junked in a year or less. The immediate example I can think of is that girl on PC, Dominique Taub's niece or whoever - Danielle. But I don't think we're anywhere near that point with Celia yet, and Agnes has done this kind of story very well many times.

Between the two, Celia's storyline is interesting but Miranda is the character who really grabs right now.

• Members

The only Canadian made for tv movie I can think of was Anne of Green Gables, which I love, and there is no such character in that. :P I thought she was more than fine for a brief day player--of course if Ron Carlivati were writing this, she would become a lead because he'd see so much potential, but...

• Members

Thoughts on this episode:

~ I'm really not feeling Celia. I liked her brief part on Monday, but I'm already growing weary of her. The guardian stuff sounds interesting, so we'll see. Francesca James, meanwhile, proves that they should have asked her back (or she should have agreed to come back, whatever the case may be) a looooooooong time ago. Girlfriend is gorgeous and she's commanded every moment she's been on screen. So happy to have this AMC legend back.

~ I thought Heather was hilarious, and I'm not getting the hate for her lol Some of the dialogue was VERY clunky, especially the two reality show shout-outs, but whatever.

~ Pete is being creepy, but I wonder if there's something underneath it all. I mean, yes, he is the most beautiful man in the world and all, but he has a history of being the nerdy guy who gets friendzoned. Maybe even after making himself over, he still lacks confidence, and it's usually a turn-off to girls, so he latches onto any opportunity to get with someone that he can.

~ Okay, so now we can assume JR is the coma patient. There was a certain tone to Dixie's scene with him that pretty much gave it away.

~ Bianca and Miranda's scenes were very good, and I easily buy ER as a mom. It just kinda makes me sad because I'm so used to her being one of the younger characters, and now she's the mother of one of the younger characters. Time flies. She does seem a little sad, but then again, I think that goes back into the fact that each character seems to have a very low number of friends in town. Who is Bianca hanging out with when she isn't with her daughters?

~ Miranda was definitely kinda snotty to Binks, but I agree with everyone saying she's just like her mom's mom.

~ AJ is dreamy wub.png He cares about Miranda, but it looks like he just wants her to be happy, even if it isn't with him.

~ Dixie is a nut.

~ Joe and Angie's scenes were classic AMC, and I wish they'd just kept it as one long scene instead of breaking it up. Ray MacDonnell looks good, still has that classic Dr. Joe voice, and he's still a warm, familiar presence even in his 80s. He never missed a mark, and I hope to see more of him.

~ Jane was fun, and I'd love it if she and Pete became friends. I can't wait to know bits and pieces about her background, where she's from, etc.

~ Hunter was decent, he played the role of the somewhat sketchy popular guy pretty well. I think he's only interested in Miranda for sex, but whatever.

~ The Cass story, so far, is the weak spot for me, simply because I'm more into grounded, domestic-type stuff, but I'm curious as to where it's going. Jesse's wasting no time trying to get to the bottom of it, which is very smart. Can't deal with Zach's rough ass on what looks to be the Jerry Springer set circa 1996.

~ Loved the brief mentions of characters not in town, also liked the inside joke (at least I'm assuming it was one) with Bianca freaking out over Les Miserables. ER was in that as a kid. And also, AJ mentioning that his soccer team played Center City! It'd be awesome if they incorporated it back into the show.

I actually really enjoyed this episode after expecting it to be a let-down after everyone's comments.

Archived