AMC: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL I usually just assume but no, I didn't think about it. It's just my sassy black woman coming out, sorry!

Just so you guys know, I try to keep the Wikipedia cast info as up-to-date and accurate as I can until the inevitable stans come out and block edits for no [!@#$%^&*] reason.

• Members

None of those "returns" are confirmed (and most of them aren't even rumored) except Brooke Newton.

The OLTL wiki stuff is equally stan-tastic. You have fangirls doggedly insisting on listing Trevor St. John as playing Todd Manning and listing Victor Jr.'s (not Todd's) creators as "Linda Gottlieb, Josh Griffith and Michael Malone" because TSJ was once a Todd recast before the retcon. Really? I'd be more willing to cede the first point if I hadn't checked the John Black/Roman Brady pages for DAYS and found only Josh Taylor and Wayne Northrop listed as Roman. Meanwhile poor Victor Jr. himself still only has a sub-header on the Lord family page. All because of stans and misplaced priorities.

• Members

OK I only NOW have time to read this thread, and am only on page five, so everyone will have moved on to episode three, but I need to comment here :P (and it's probably been addressed later)

That's not how I see it--though you could be right.

I know at my sister's boarding school, where most of the students came from out of town (and it was a girl's school actually) some students would stay on for their gap year and sorta work as student teachers and tutors and still live there.

Didn't the actress even tweet she wasn't in HS (her character?)

Anyway what I got, and I may have missed some dialogue, was her sorta annoying friend was coming to gossip with her but Celia did mention if she could help her with her studying. I think Evelyn, because of this very weird but kinda gothic (which I like) story is making her spend her gap year at the school so she can watch over her--and that's why Celia is so desperate--now that she's out of high school--to just get on with life.

Anyway--I could be utterly wrong. (No spoilers for ep 3 if more is explained please...)

• Members

Is OLTL doing a better job at this? I do think OLTL has been undeniably more compelling (IMHO) but I had a friend who watched with his bf, who had watched soaps in his past but never OLTL and he said his bf after two episodes is still completely confused about how everyone is related, who they are, etc (though he wants to stick with it--don't think they've tried AMC yet.) So yes, it has everyone into the action, but I think, frankly, both shows--while easier for newbies to join in on than any of the current network soaps at the moment--will need a week or two for a new viewer to feel they have a sense of the place. I guess what I mean is as someone who knows both AMC and OLTL, OLTL does feel more like it's already established its sense online--but I say that with 20 years history with the show. AMC, as Vee repeatedly has said, has a much bigger battle and doesn't have that luxury--but I really do think both at this moment would have the same appeal or lack of appeal to new viewers. *shrug*.

• Members

Posting without reading the thread (yet) ...

Great to see Joe!

The Cassandra shrieking was so over the top -- this "ripped from the headlines" story is getting off to a really cliched, exploitative "woman in peril" start rather than being effective. Also, this could all be Jesse's fault for calling her to go with some driver and not being more specific!

Zach doesn't like Pine Valley anymore, why?

Loved Miranda and Bianca's awkwardness, but trying to bond, over the One Direction tickets. I actually like Hunter with Miranda so far -- more than AJ with her.

AJ was sweet with Dixie. What happened to AJ meeting up with his soccer team at Jane's? I didn't see any team. I did like what we saw of Jane.

Happy to hear references to Maya (fixed the botched line from Monday's ep), Caleb (who left Cortlandt Electronics in a shambles, LOL), Jake, Amanda, and Ruth. My Asher may get a mention sooner or later.

Celia's stifled Victorian era-ish schoolgirl story with her absent "guardian" she's never seen before in her life with his rules, is so weird ... Feels more at home in an Emily Bronte or Charles Dickens novel than 21st century US. Plus the website for the school looked more modern than how Petey was describing it. Trying for a mix of tones that doesn't really mesh for this story. I liked that Evelyn was nice to Celia though and that she understood why Celia wanted to help distribute condoms at the Miranda Center (although even that, the schoolmarm approving of her charitable do-gooder ward, would not be that out of place in a period piece, though only without the condom being explicitly flashed around, and with the hookers being given some euphemistic term).

Petey creeped me out a bit manipulating the teen schoolgirl and using her crush on him to get info on Celia.

Overall second episode did not wow me as much as the first, but of course I'll keep watching!

• Members

That's a great point. As I've said before, AMC and Nixon has a history with gothic storylines (one that rarely seems to get mentioned when people write about her favorite plots--maybe because some of them walk a pretty fine line between camp and compelling--Dante's "pet in a cage" which turned out to be Curtis in Nixon's 1994 stint on Loving comes to mind--I believe she did the infamous 80s Loving story about the guy who maybe or maybe not turns into a snake after maybe or mayb e not selling his soul to the devil.) And I love them. LOL But... I do think Celia's dialogue today was disappointing--and I hope the actress, who seems to have potential but is very green, improves. But you have a point, that it's a bit hard to incorporate it with the more modern details--especially with this reboot.

Archived