OLTL: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thing is, that's where Ron excels himself. His best work was when he was cleaning up Higley's mess. It was masterful. Then later when he was writing Oltl to a semi finale (semi because he was writing an ending, but left openings to launch PPOLTL). And then again when he was finishing op GW's work and writing GH to a finale before they got "saved". It's when he starts creating his own stories from the initial concept that he goes completely off the rails.

• Members

I think Ron isn't without good ideas of his own. The problem is that his concept of pacing - both in terms of actual time, and in terms of balancing character vs. the plot beats - has long since been shot. His Paris, Texas story on OLTL, the multiple layers of story with Marcie on the run, Viki and Charlie's romance, Gigi and Shane, all of that was extremely well-done IMO. It all led to Viki alone in a diner with Marcie holding her at gunpoint, and that was brilliant TV.

But that was a long time ago. He has long since stopped prioritizing character issues with the same weight as his plot beats - he believed too much of his own press. He has come to believe he is the new Coke, and no one can argue with him - partly because in the current daytime climate, there is simply no time and no money to do so. So for every good idea he has there are two bad ones, and for every good idea (the return of the Jeromes; the ELQ wars with A.J. and Tracy and Edward reminding Tracy to use Pickle Lila to save the family), there is now almost always a very flawed execution that ruins a lot of it.

• Members

I thought his writing at the end of OLTL was a disaster. TSJ spitting into a gag as Barbara Garrick gives a, frankly, not very well-acted voiceover that is extremely OOC...it is pretty close to being the worst finale I have ever seen.

• Members

Oh, I thought that was a fantastic finale. I thought it both gave some people happy endings and kept the show and its big stories alive and kicking in people's minds, which to me is the most important thing for a soap opera - the idea that it continues on.

The road to getting there and the various storylines they chose were definitely not without flaws right to the end (John and Natalie was a personal peeve, plus there was the awful Rex and Gigi story, Marty's fate, etc.) but no one year on a soap opera ever is. I thought they wrapped things up very well in those last couple weeks while still giving it more life.

• Members

If the happy endings had actually been built up to, then I would have been more invested. Instead, Matthew was barely on, and then almost as soon as he returned, shamed into being a father so we could have some "heartwarming" scene that the writing hadn't justified. Jessica had a "happy" ending of being Clint's biological daughter, even though both she and Clint had become so monstrous that I had no idea why I was supposed to see this as a good thing.

The only thing I remember liking was Megan/Luna/Gabrielle coming back. Shane's exit was nice too.

• Members

I thought the Matthew return was rushed, but I thought they made it work because we all knew the show was ending - it was hurried and i didn't appreciate how they'd sidelined Eddie Alderson for a year, but it was a happy ending for the kids, they deserved it, they got it. I didn't think Clint and Jessica were monsters, though I was very tired of Jessica. I was glad they left the door open with her and Brody and that they killed Ford, that's all I needed of her. Clint and Viki, I preferred Viki with Charlie but I love JVD, and I think he's very good in the role, and I was glad to see Viki and Clint happy together again, though I did find their reunion rushed. People go through bad writing but they come out the other side. Clint was a character who had to change to become a power player on the show again, and I fully supported his going dark for a while - he did that very well in those last several years IMO. He came out the other side of that, but he remained enriched as a more nuanced character.

Anything that I found rushed, frankly I've seen much quicker, lamer turnarounds on other soap finales - OLTL at least gave most of those a few months or weeks at least. So I was fine with 90% of that ending.

• Members

Margaret Cochran (and Tari Signor) was infinitely better and infinitely more entertaining than any of white trash wankster Ron's crap. Even though her frizz problem was so gross but strangely endearing at the same time. The Higley years also had Claudia Reston. Kerry Butler (Claudia) was a much better actress than Bree Williamson. She was also a lot better than Melissa Archer was at that time. Too bad she was just a foil for Jess/Nash (and TESS/Nash, ugh!) But the Spencer saga was hideous. And so was St. Evangeline, ugh! I also hated how Blair was written with her panting after Spencer but it's not like Ron knew how to write for her either. I will say that RC wrote more for Kevin (and Dan Gauthier, who I love) than Higley did, but that's it.

That said, I did like a lot of the last week of the ABC run. Jess and Clint were ruined but JVD could always act. And Clint was always an important character. It helps that he saw through Ford's crap and had his goons beat him up. I don't like what he did to Shane, but I didn't care about Shane. I certainly didn't care about his piece of filth parents Rex and Gigi.

It was nice seeing Megan and Gabrielle. Luna too, even though she bored and irritated me before. Even Stacy's scenes with Clint were entertaining and good to see.

I never liked Cole but that was mostly Brandon Buddy's fault. The recast helped. The last time I enjoyed Starr was when she punched crazy (and very pointless) Hannah. I liked the actress that played Hannah though more than Kristen Alderson. I haven't liked KA one bit since she came to GH, whether it was Starr or Kiki. But moving on...

Seeing Ford meet Chandy head on was much needed! And it was funny how Jess fake cried over him all of one hour. I thought the scenes with her learning that Clint was her father was sweet. It was the most acting that Bree Williamson had done in a long time. It was also nice seeing Brody again.

• Members

I thought Signor was hilariously bad. Especially the way she always sounded like she was moaning when she talked.

Claudia was pointless but I thought she had potential. It helped that she was the only person who pointed out that Tess isn't real (even if it was mostly just because she was so thirsty for Nash's attention). I mostly just liked Kerry Butler.

Two of the biggest lowlights of the Higley years, along with the Spencer Truman crap, was the sonf*cker story (with talentless Matt Metzger) and the Daniel Coulson story. But even with all that, I still find her less offputting than RC even if the last week of OLTL's ABC run had some nice moments.

• Members

All of the Higley years were a lowlight. Every single inch of them. I turned it off. It was unwatchable.

Thanks for the Horgan/Racina link. Listening to it now. I've always liked those two a lot. While I do think Jessica Klein added some needed juice and they took things a little too slow midway through, the bones of the tattoo/Triskelion cartel storyline were made clear at the end of the season - they were clearly pure, classic Thom Racina, and I desperately wanted to see how he was going to play that out. And Susan Horgan has been around since Procter & Gamble in the '70s - she has (not) forgotten more about the history of daytime than a lot of people there today could ever know.

Archived