AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In your opinion. Sure, there's a few cast members that AMC should get that they haven't got, yet, mostly due to scheduling that will most likely eventually clear. A few. OLTL has the same problem.

You can't judge the status of the older actors on the show until you see the show. I will give you that it's probably likely that a lot of story for the older actors will now revolve around the younger actors. That's often the cycle of soaps though. There could very well be a balance, too. We don't know yet.

AMC suddenly has a lot of teens. Guess what? OLTL already had a lot of teens. Unlike with the 1996 teen explosion on AMC, even viewers who watched AMC for a couple of years will be pretty familiar with most of these young characters whom have experienced a growth spurt.

• Members

A strong EP is better than a Strong HW in my opinion. Megan's run with Felicia VS with Megan's run with Cruthers. Ginger Smith has been with the show for many years ans isn't she the one who David Canary admires? Anyway, if the HW's are not doing good she can fire them and replace them with someone who can write for the show. Even if the OLTL HW is the great Late-Doug Marland I still wouldn't assume OLTL would be better than it was previously with an EP with virtually no experience during OLTL's golden years.

• Members

You guys do realize that one of the main strengths of All My Children was its teen section? In fact, when the show started in 1970.. the main storyline was Phil/Tara.. with both Chuck and Erica as outsiders each wanting Phil and Tara to break up. While Chuck secretly wanted them to break up, Erica went out of her way to break them up. In fact, the main story involved Phil's paternity. It seems like the gist of the first several months involved that secret and most of the characters were involved in that story.

I figure as long as the current crop of young characters are connected to the vets (with the vets having equal screen and story time) then I think all will be well.

For me, All My Children seemed to have a heavy focus on young characters.. along with a healthy dose of adult/older characters within a community. One life to live, on the other hand, didnt impress upon me as a teen oriented show... its heavy focus in the early years was diversity ( in terms of class, ethnicity, religion, etc).. which I'm hoping the reboot goes back to.

• Members

And there's the key. You personally don't like teen characters. That's different than "This is not the way to relaunch AMC!!!"

Personally, I'm halfway through a rewatch of Friday Night Lights and that reminded me that if the writing is good, stories with teens can be just as riveting as adult stories.

The bottom line is that most of us are willing to wait and see what happens. You don't seem to be willing to do that. Fine, but when you start throwing out hysteria like "OLTL has 90% of its cast" and talk of "limited" vets and returns like it's fact, don't get salty when someone pushes back on that. We've got enough bad information and rumors flying out here.

• Members

I know but I assume, maybe inaccurately, the cemetery is somewhat close to the club. They at least have to be in the same neighborhood.

Same here, but why is OLTL - which had a lot of teens in its last years - somehow golden for you and not AMC - which will now have a lot of teens?

I stopped watching AMC in 1996 due to the departure of SMG and CMcC as they were attached to my two favorite story-lines on the show (Erica/Kendall, Tad/Dixie). I also quit because the Santos family had overtaken the show and there were suddenly a bunch of teens that I was not familiar with. Bobby? Kelsey? I'm familiar with Miranda and AJ and Petey and they will be central to the teen and young adult story. I don't see any major new family (Griffin and Cara are just brother and sister) marking the scene.

Are you just upset about MEK (<-- who made the choice to wait)? If I'm remembering posters correctly, I think you've been a little upset about no-MEK for some time. If I'm incorrect, nevermind.

• Members

wub.png

For once, Angela, you and I are on the same page. It's not secret that I didn't watch much of OLTL during the final few years of its run because there were too many teens and newbies, mostly shirtless young men. I also never liked Natalie or Rex so having them get so much of the storyline was a turnoff for me. By contrast, it looks like AMC is incorporating these new characters into the fabric of the main families and with the vets they have so far like David Canary, Jill Larson and Julia Barr, I expect they'll get stories of their own too, just as we already know Debbi Morgan and Darnelle Williams will.

Archived