Y&R February 2013 Discussion

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And I find Justin Wilczynski sexy and charismatic but I really don't like his band's music and I wish JFP would stop playing. Just like I couldn't stand Adrianna Leon's music when she would play it. Especially this song. It's becoming the new Would You Like It.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8W68a9QC6Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Members

I think Marland did fire some people before six months (I'm pretty sure the woman who played Maggie Crawford was fired from ATWT almost immediately upon his arrival, unless she chose to leave), but I think most of them still work.

The #1 rule in my eyes is someone that understands, respects, and loves the soap genre. Griffith may, I don't know, but that's not enough in the face of so much else.

• Members

That read fan mail rule can be tweaked. Maybe don't read mail that is basically composed of rants riddled with exclamation points, capitalization of every word, misspellings or written in crayon, blood, etc. Delete/throw those away immediately.

Only read coherent letters. Ones that are raving only about a couple (e.g. please don't split up Lane) without any coherent, logical rationale-- toss those immediately too.

I do agree, though that recycling ineffective 'talent' is killing these shows. When Bill Bell Sr., Douglas Marland were alive and Agnes Nixon and the Dobsons were all still actively writing-- P&G, Sony and ABC Daytime etc, should have worked with the writing programs of colleges and universities to create apprenticeships so they could've cast a wider net from which to draw their pool of talent.

Prime time does this more often (although the Primetime programs leave room for improvement) and film has its festivals.

Daytime should have reached out to talented and aspiring writers--they're not hard to find. They could've started with the writing programs and grad school programs. My school once had a Writing for The Soap Opera class. I never took it since it filled pretty quickly, that was in the early 00s. Now, I'm pretty sure they no longer have that course because they most likely believe that it wouldn't be worth it to keep it--and most students, alert to what's going on in TV, believe that it wouldn't be worth their time to take a course where the main examples from that genre have been cancelled in quick succession over the past few years. If I were still in school, I sure wouldn't bother taking that course unless all my other requirements were fulfilled and I need a 'filler' course.

• Members

Bill Bell was pretty good at picking his own people to train to write. I read awhile back an article where Meg Bennett explained how she started writing and the training she went through under Bill Bell. I beleive she said she was thinking about leaving the show when Bill Bell asked her if she was interested in writing and she would meet with him and he had her practice writing for other characters while she was still working as an actress on the show.

I also remembering reading an article about a woman who was writing her series of romantic mystery novels and in between them she would script write for a few different shows. She said it was good experience and even when they didn't use her work she still got paid.

• Members

I cannot tell you how much I agree with what you have written here!

I like the idea of a strong woman at the EP helm of a soap but I think an ability to understand the show you are working on, adapt your skills to that show's vibe and actually produce with talent are absolute pre-requisites. I question whether JFP has the talent or the werewithall to meet these criteria. For the past 3 decades we have seen her go from show to show, imposing the same template with varying (and diminishing) success... and here we go again! This time on Y&R which has very distinct history, approach, set of characters and visual, lighting and musical style. And all that has been ignored in favour of music choices which IMO are mediocre, tinny and very dated, very 1990s. The lighting is standard, the directing feels off and the new sets are hit or miss. None of this, as you say, adds up to that Y&R "feeling."

It could be that JFP's tastes are just not mine, but I also wonder if she hasn't stagnated, or if she believes her own hype... or maybe the hype wasn't based on anything concrete at all. Maybe the talent was never all that to begin with.

Props to JFP, this show is less of a mess than under MAB. But I can't shake the feeling that this show is being run by people who don't understand Y&R and want to turn it into something they "get." And that is an ABC soap circa 2002.

• Members

....and I'm about to take back some of what I wrote above (namely the "Am I watching an ABC soap circa 2002" stuff) because I just finished watching today's US episode and I really enjoyed it!

-LOVED Lily being all smug with Tyler and telling him she loved her husband and would never cheat -- and getting that thrown back in her face! Tyler came back with "Uh... I don't care how cute you are, I would never go after a married woman. It's just harmless flirting and you need to chill because I'm not that kind of sleaze." The actor was so convincing, too, and hotter than ever, if that's even possible. Give it up for JFP for bringing on hotties who can actually act.

-Speaking of hotness, Ignacio Serrachio managed to spark something out of Liz Hendricksen that I haven't seen in forever. Whatshisname knew she was coming onto him to get on his good side but he also looked her up and down like he was hungry. Poor Kevin looked like a squinty-eyed idiot next to him.

-When Cane is with Chelsea, he lights up with chemistry. When he's with Lily or trying to sweet-talk Kay or Jill, he just comes across as a sweaty-faced sleaze.

-I've not been getting into Navery, wasn't sure either about Avery & Dylan McJason. But in today's episode they did have a very good scene and... I'm sort of convinced by them now! As long as the stop doing those awful flashbacks with the pet rock.

-Sharon Case looking and dressing great today.

-Phyllis also reappeared and you know, I was ok with seeing her again. Especially when she got so bitchy with Nick.

Archived