HOLIDAY MIRACLE: Prospect Park Back On Track To Revive AMC and OLTL

• Members

AMC was my show. It was my second soap (SFT was my first only by virtue of having come on a half hour before AMC). It's the soap I always came back to. I didn't think of it as bad at the end so much as broken. Years of mismanagement, bad writing and the textbook Frons insistence of trying to force viewers to like his fave characters just eroded at what AMC was all about. But I think its ending was very true to the show I'd watched all my life.

Personally I don't need to see AMC rise again as it was but I could totally get on board with a time jump that introduces new characters as long as it's written by people who understand what the show was about. Again, this is why I HATED the idea of Carlivati being involved. He's pretty much the anti-Nixon.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think she went along with it because she felt she had to. Nixon was way too much of a woman-centered writer to think that was a good decision. Also as much as I love Agnes, I don't think of her as infallible. I don't think she had any idea how epically damaging it would be to the show and its legacy. Frankly I don't believe that anybody could've foreseen how much damage that story would do.

• Members

I think I need to make like marceline and avoid going down the rabbit hole, because reading that article brought back all of the old arguments and ideas for and against these prospects (I'm sorry, but the company was just too aptly named). I'm just too weary to do it all over again. But I will say, I pray that PP is doing some very thorough research and thinking outside the box if there truly is an effort to go somewhere with this. For starters, I'd ditch 5 shows/week.

• Members

In retrospect there is certainly an argument to be made for AMC and OLTL joining the OWN lineup when the network was in its earliest stages used as programs to anchor the evening programming, say at 7pm with AMC and OLTL alternating Monday through Thursday nights, so two episodes a week. This would alter the production model and casts quite a bit and may have been useful in drawing viewers to OWN's evening programming.

But time has moved on. It's been a year and a half and the brands, regardless of the bullsh*t being spewed, are long gone. There are devoted fans, certainly, but many of those who watched AMC and OLTL have moved on or died (a sad reality as the older demo drops off due to age)...the habit of watching has been broken. These shows are not coming back in any way resembling how they were, if at all.

• Members

I have an idea to get our shows back! Lets stop being so negative! If we were to show the love for our show I am sure ABC or whoever will be enticed to either sell DVD's, Novels, or something to satisfy us. As long as we nit-pick about everything and criticize and underestimate PP and ABC we will never be happy. We don't know if they have financial backing or not. It has been a year since they said they were going to shelve the idea. Also, I believe TV guide and Deadline reporting that PP and the unions signed a deal with the unions and are planing to bring the shows back more than I believe Daytime Confidential reporting ABC regained the rights.

Not to mention the FV a few months ago said to keep our fingers crossed and so did CH! And now look, It seems as if they are coming back after all!

So basically, if we continue to be negative negative things will happen!

• Members

Well, it would be nice to have a smart, high profile, savvy soap fan say a few words on our behalf while being interviewed on national television. It would be nice to see the soap industry called out and publicly shamed for the inferor product they grew comfortable with over the past twenty odd years, and to let TPTB know in such an open forum beyond the dismissed message boards what fans do and do not want to see. I don't want PP churning out the garbage that left so many of us disenfranchised with AMC and OLTL. What I liked about the idea of PP overseeing these shows was their cable sensibilities and my hope that they would help AMC and OLTL think outside the soap box and ditch age-old bad habits, embracing the future of scripted drama.

Archived