HOLIDAY MIRACLE: Prospect Park Back On Track To Revive AMC and OLTL

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I definitely thought about the soaps again when it was FINALLY announced that OWN would have original scripted programming (provided by Tyler Perry). I'm interested to see how his shows will do. I saw the breakdowns when they were casting and one of them is an adaptation of one of his earlier plays. If what's said about TP is true, he runs a very, ahem, *cost efficient* ship. His shows do (imho) inexplicably well in syndication. This was just a cheaper, safer bet. Of course they're also really close friends and for whatever reasons, I don't see that relationship souring should this venture fail.

Whether it's Oprah or Prospect Park, i'm adamant about the fact that these shows cannot afford to move sideways. They can't merely move to a new network and do exactly what the were doing on ABC. Ain't nobody got time or money fuh dat. I want to see them at their best, freshly scrubbed faces, new attitude towards excellence, the BEST writers and producers at their helm.

I keep dipping my toe in this rabbit hole...

• Members

ITA. As broken as AMC was, there were enough elements in place to fix it unlike OLTL, which bore no resemblance to Nixon's vision for over 10 years before it was finally canceled.

I hope it's true, but again I don't want to get my hopes up yet.

Exactly! There's potential for these shows to rise again if PP hires good writers who are familiar with the Agnes Nixon shows and care about daytime drama. It would be just too painful for them to be brought back with writers like McTavish & Carlivati.

• Members

I do hope that if one of the two shows comes back that it's AMC. I find that the AMC cast & fans are more deserving of a revival. Their finale was a huge cliffhanger, wheras OLTL had a minor cliffhanger, and a pretty good overall close. The OLTL cast was largely newbies towards the end, and the fans claim they saved GH, so they can just watch that.

• Members

I think based on the media attention given towards the two shows that AMC is the better candidate for revival. The last few years, the show was awful, but in the end, viewers got to see how good it could be with the right balance of cast members. OLTL was a lot more distant from its former self when it ended. I found OLTL to be pretty bad from the latter half of 2008 on. AMC only really went downhill after the show moved production from NYC to LA.

Another way to look at is that a lot of OLTL crew members, including the EP & HW, are at GH now. That provides several problems itself, as well as having Howarth, Easton, & Alderson on contract there.

• Members

That kind of makes me wonder about rights and things like that. If OLTL were to come back and air on another network, could OLTL characters still be mentioned on GH, and could GH characters begin being mentioned on a new version of OLTL?

Heck, it's even more complicated than Lucy Coe the Vampire Slayer.

• Members

Yeah, and I'm imagining this bizarre bidding war between characters and if there are even some contractual caveats that could make for some real-life soap opera, i.e., PP gets to nab characters back from GH against FV/RC's wishes.

• Members

OLTL in it's final years just got way to campy for me. All My Children on the other hand was my show and wasn't that far off. As proven by the show's final months it could easily be fixed and it was. OLTL really went downhill in my eyes when they did the whole talking dog thing. I thought Carlivati was reviving Passions. LOL! But seriously though for the sake of the soap genre as a whole I would love for these two shows to come back. I always thought ABC might cancel one but I was really thrown for a loop when they announced they were cancelling two. I'll have to look for the article but there was an article talking about how they would be getting Agnes Nixon involved again because she has "That special sauce that made the shows great"

Archived