Would Agnes be a good Head Write for Y&R?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes B&B could be so much better than it is. Why don't they have a character who is a film or tv producer? Why don't they have a character who is a struggling actor/actress? Why are no characters models? No singers or music producers? And they have so many possibilities for storylines yet repeat the same damn one!

• Members

Bill and Agnes seemed to both reflect different sides from Irna (or at least get different things from Irna--it's true Irna soaps weren't known for humour under her, etc). So Y&R still reflected the Bill Bell style, I would say she'd be an awkward fit. In its current state, I'm sure she could make it her own though.

She did consult on GH didn't she? (Of course for a while she was consultant for all of ABC daytime, so who knows how much she did--I remember reading somewhere that she recommended ABC hire one of its better writers). It would suit her more than Y&R, and certainly Agnes wasn't against the types of larger than life characters GH started to have by the late 70s.

I agree. My only caveat is Sirk *did* like to put a lot of social issues into his stories, something I found Bell often did in a heavy handed way.

• Members

I dont think that Agnes would be a good fit for Y & R, Her show was a combo of warmth, quirky humor, and relevant social issues that never felt preachy to me. I always viewed Y & R as a very psychological drama (sort of like 70's AW) while AMC took on the whole 'takes a village to raise a child mantra'.

That said, I could have seen her taking on certain characters on Y & R as opposed to writing the show as a whole. I think she could have written characters like Nina (girl from the wrong side of the tracks), Victor (she did write powerful male characters very well like Adam and Palmer), and Jill (but only the 70's and 80's verison of the character since she did have a knack for writing daddy complex female characters).

On the other side, I couldnt see Bill Bell writing for AMC nor OLTL. Though, I think Erica would have been a gold mine character to write (abandonment issues, daddy issues, rape, drug use, etc... and I think he could have matured the character even with Susan Lucci playing the part).

Archived