Would Agnes be a good Head Write for Y&R?

• Members

Lets Assume Agnes is still in her prime (I personally think she can still knock anyone dead) would she be good at Y&R?? I know her and Bill worked for Irna so the thought of her taking over his show would be really cool. However, from what I have heard, I don't think Agnes Nixon's philosophy and Bill Bell's Philosophy for daytime could mix well though. It's my understanding that Agnes was more social issues and Campy Drama while Bill Bell was more serious.

What do yall think?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While I think Y&R has boasted several great characters, I have never found the show to have particularly warm characters. There are a lot of icy, neurotic, anal retentive characters on Y&R (of course there are exceptions). But I think AN would bring a certain warmth to the show given her writing style and penchant for endearing characters.

• Members

Would Agnes Nixon be good for Y&R? In the long run, yes. She'd respect characters and history, but she'd also change how stories are paced, which might take some time to get used to.

Here's what I'd love to know: if Bill Bell were 1) still alive and 2) still in his prime, could he have written a show like ALL MY CHILDREN?

• Members

That's a good questions. I think Bill Bell could have written All My Children well but I think it would lack Agnes' warmth. I always thought AMC's template was based off of the ATWT template and Bell did write ATWT with Irna for quite a few years, but was ATWT a warm show like AMC? That I don't think so.

• Members

I love Agnes and I agree she has a lot still to offer. That's why I would rather see her create a new soap than waste time or energy trying to resuscitate any of the last shows standing. I realize that isn't an option but if we are making wishes then that's mine.

+1

• Members

Well, as we all know, Bill Bell loved taking his time with his stories. Almost to the point of agony, depending on whom you ask. Agnes believed in "making 'em wait" as well; however, climaxes to her stories often came much faster than they did to Bell's. Frankly, every six months or so on ALL MY CHILDREN, there was a noticeable changeover, as many stories would wind down while others geared up.

• Members

I don't doubt she would be able to write a good, if not great, Y&R. Just not the Y&R that should be written. Y&R has its very own, particular style of telling stories, of pacing, of dialogue. Whether one liked it or not, it was very recognizably Y&R's style and, at least to this fan, the show will never be OK unless it goes back to that.

Archived