Soap Stars You LOVED in One Role and HATED in Another

• Members

Hillary Edson owns this list. I was very, very, very fond of Eve Guthrie - and I don't think I was the only one, as she somehow managed to stay on GL for two and a half years, with some of the worst and oddest writing and personality changes imaginable, until Edson chose to leave the show. But I hated, hated, hated self-righteous child-stealer Stacey Winthrop. Hated! Ugh.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Speaking of the actors in her GL story (the Nick/Mindy/Eve "triangle" that was thankfully aborted after Eve went crazy and my guess is the show realized viewers were rooting for the crazy lady):

I just adored Barbara Crampton as Leanna Love. She was so much fun, and always gave Y&R a shot in the arm. Looking back at episodes now, I still get a kick out of her, so I can't just say it was some youth issue on my part.

At first I was happy she was cast on GL as Mindy, but, in no time at all, I wanted her off the show. She was shockingly vacant, lacking any of the drive or heart of Mindy. I can see that was partially the writing, but she still brought zero spark to the material. She was a Barbie. The only time I felt like she was getting into the role was at the very end, when Michael O'Leary returned as Rick.

I then liked her again as Maggie on B&B, for the first few months, when Maggie was spunky and trashy. When she was cleaned up, I lost all interest.

Vincent Irizarry. I spent three years wanting someone to punch Nick in the face. I hated the condescending manner in which he spoke to people. I hated his voice. I hated the way he said "Melinda." I hated the constant superiority dance he seemed to be doing. Only towards the last six months or so of his run did I start to like Nick. I was surprised at how quickly I took to him on AMC, but I really did, even with some lousy writing.

• Members

Conversely, there isn't a role her one-time on-screen partner, Larkin Malloy (ex-Sky, EDGE; ex-Kyle, GUIDING LIGHT; ex-Travis, ALL MY CHILDREN; ex-Clay, LOVING), has not excelled in, IMO. Even his brief stint as that weird doctor in the "rapid aging" plot on AS THE WORLD TURNS was a highlight in an otherwise abysmally stupid story.

• Members

Frankly, I think the issues had more to do with the writing for Kyle, as well as the fact that he was a spoiler of sorts for Josh and Reva, than with LM's performance in the role.

Meanwhile, I believe Sharon Gabet could have done a lot more with OLTL's Melinda, but her time there suffered from a lack of airtime with Robin Strasser's Dorian.

• Members

Judi Evans. She was the definitive Beth to me, on GL. I liked her as Adrienne on DAYS and finally realized just how awesome an actress she was when I saw her take over the role of Paulina on AW. She showed a side of herself that I would have never imagined existed.

And then there was Bonnie on DAYS. I tried so hard to like the character because I like Judi Evans, but I never could. I eventually completely gave up on watching her as Bonnie.

Archived