Name Two Good Things A Hack HW Did

• Members

Aidan really got thrown under the bus for Zendall. NOTHING done with Annie matched the level of disgrace down to the character to prop up that couple. He was still very viable after Annie

Liza used Fusion cosmetics. JL's casting was proof that the company's products worked....lol

I dont know but it was downright awful on the OLTL front. Story was a plus for AMC but a drag on OLTL.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes! That was one I was going to post for Pratt.

Although I didn't like that he portrayed her as truly psychic. We actually saw her foresee Stuart (who she thought was Adam) being wheeled into the hospital with a gunshot wound to the chest. That went too far for me.

• Members

I agree with all of this. I also agree that they don't deserve to be called hacks. I will always be grateful to them for giving Jesse and Angie the supercouple wedding they deserved, Complete with some beautifully written scenes for LL 1.) when Greg saw Jesse alive again and 2.) when he visited Jenny's grave. There was great drama in the form of Jesse, Tad, Greg and Frankie (not Ryan, not Zach) all racing to save Angie even though she was kicking ass all on her own. I consider that a week of perfect soap even with Ghost Dixie.

The J&A wedding was the last time I ever sat at work LITERALLY counting the minutes until I could get home and watch my show.

• Members

LMAO! I though that was perfect. Tad's obvious fatigue only made me love those scenes more. The only thing missing was Tad saying, "I'm getting too old for this [!@#$%^&*]..." a la Danny Glover in the Lethal Weapon movies. I don't need to pretend that actors my age are Forever 21 i.e. John McBain "hot cop."

• Members

Yes their May sweeps (or the last 2 weeks I think? The wedding through the Kathy reveal) was incredibly strong.

One of the most beautiful scenes I ever saw on AMC was Opal walking into the hospital waiting area as Tad hovered between life and death and Palmer is there.

Opal: They let anybody in this place

Opal sits down beside Palmer.

Palmer: Windbag!

Opal: Old coot!

Without looking at each other they natually clasp hands.

• Members

Agreed. I really think B&E were under Frons' control more than, say, Pratt (who he seems to love and trust), and that hampered their stuff. I also liked the Richie reveal as I said. The main problem was an over focus on Zendall/Ryan/Greenlee being on ALL the time--and a lack of momentum. Lots was just boring (or wasted opportunity--Richie and Janet meet in the psych room, and have ONE scene??)

I admit I give B&E leeway partly to because I really enjoyed their writing on Loving, and, while it started off roughly (the copycat murders, issue stories done in very quick fashion), I thought their last year of The City was truly a mix of modern and traditional soap opera that somehow *worked*, something people have had a hard time doing since. Sure Nixon was a consultant on both, but she was also in the writing room to an extent on their AMC work. (When they returned to AMC as script writers, I felt they wrote some of the better scripts).

I didn't think Swajeski and Kreizman's run on AMC was all that bad. They managed to keep some of the tone of Pine Valley that LB had injected in her quick return to help fix the show after Pratt's final months (can you imagine how decimated AMC would have been if Pratt had written till the end?) and I liked some of their stuff. They just were bland--and their last few months early last Spring (can't believe the show has been almost gone a year) were a directionless bore, I almost wonder if something was going on behind the scenes.

Well the thing about Pratt was it was such plot driven, fast moving stuff that it never got boring. Just more and more WTF. He should just stick to primetime campy soaps where I think he's pretty good (isn't he headwriter for one of the ABC Family teen soaps? Lying Club?)

• Members

I agree with most of those assessments.

McTavish: Starts out sometimes pretty amazing, but almost always crashes and burns and does some crazy destructive stuff in that crash and burn. She started the trend for a lack of balance that the show would continue to have for the rest of its run.

B&E: T-E-D-I-O-U-S-L-Y slow and repetitive and dark. They were the writers who started really draining the soul and fun out of AMC, at least in my opinion.

Pratt: Carelessly D-E-S-T-R-U-C-T-I-V-E SOB but he moved it so fast that it made it more tolerable than B&E's writing for me even if their writing was less destructive overall.

S&K: Boring. Harmless but boring.

• Members

I loved Kreizman & Swajeski's AMC for the most part. "The Quad" storyline was the best and I enjoyed the Castillo's, especially Cara. I also thought they did a fantastic job with Angie's blindess/pregnancy story.

Asher and Caleb turned out to be complete failures. I agree K&S's AMC did get boring towards the end, especially w/the endless Kendall/Ricky storyline (which had a GREAT ending though IMO. It was taped a little after AMC was canceled so I think LB influenced that more. I have no doubt K&S would've dragged that story throughout the Summer)

• Members

I agree with all that. I think in some ways their writing was more old school soap--I still think it wasa bit too boring, but I liked all the elements (and disliked all the elements) you mentioned. Caleb shoulda just been paired with Opal, really. Asher's green writing didn't help things especially since Damon was such a better actor (but now that he's won such kudos for Death of a Salesman on Broadway he was obviously smart to refuse to move to LA). And yes I know many didn't like the Castillos, but they worked for me.

• Members

I enjoyed David's return and also, as twisted as it was, the story (mainly the acting) he had with Krystal after Babe died. IMO Bobbie Eakes was very underrated during that pill story. Her emmy nominaton for that, which was deemed by many as "a joke", was very well deserved.

• Members

I still wonder to this day why Pratt was fired. His positives was the show moved fast and his first 3 months at AMC were better than the show had been for a while. The negatives the same as they were at GH,destructive but ratings actually went up under his tenure. I often wonder if it was Lucci behind the scenes prompted by herself and many others that ended up pushing Frons into firing him. Wasn't it Pratt that pushed Agnes put of the picture totally?

In retrospect McTavish was decent but I just HATED and I mean HATED the unabortion story. That was what drove me away from the show for a long long time and I never really watched exclusively until maybe the final 3 months.

Archived