Name Two Good Things A Hack HW Did

• Members

With all the talk about hack head-writers and some of their biggest blunders, I wondered to myself if there was at least two things that any of these hack writers did that viewers liked? I'm sure even HACK WRITERS, like Jean passante or LML, did at least two things correct while head-writing their shows.

So can you think of any?

For me, my thought of biggest hack writer was LML. The following is two positive things she did while headwriter....

1) Making Nikki more career-minded (i.e. she dabbled in politics and appeared to have finally broken free of Victor).

2) Killing Sheila off once and for all (granted, it was a stupid phyillis look-a-like but at least she killed off Sheila for life)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jean Passanante, although for all I know this was Goutman, since he supposedly ran the last years of the show:

The wonderful Bob/Kim anniversary episodes, with the warm, funny, family moments and the history which was so often ignored.

Lucinda suddenly reverting back to the Marland-era control freak instead of doting mother and grandmother. What a blast!

• Members

Chuck Pratt at AMC:

• Tried to return to Nixonian style social issue stories withtby dealing with the Iraq war through the eyes of Frankie/Taylor/Brot. The execution was weak but the intention was good.
  • Casting Jamie Luner as Liza.

• Members

MAB: (Y&R)

1.) (Even though that relationship is still dismantled) Making it turn out that Jill isn't Katherine's daughter

2.) Giving MTS a real storyline, after those terrible contract disputes (Again, still a hot mess though)

Bradley Bell: (B&B)

1.) Redeeming Deacon enough to share a tender scene with Hope (Hate how this is going nowhere now)

2.) Making Bill understanding about Karen's sexuality (Too bad we won't see Johanna Johnson that much now)

• Members

Jean Passante:

What the Passante/Goutman era did to ATWT was unforgivable (especially the last year). However there were two storylines during her reign that were quite good.

1) The Jen/Gwen baby switch. True, baby switches have been done to death, but this story was probably the last great umbrella s/l, where everyone was involved in what was going on, and gave meaty material to all involved.

2) Jack kills Brad. How original to have Brad killed by his own brother. The effect on the Snyder marriage, Katie's grief, Jack's guilt and the blasts from the past (Mike, Ben, Molly) made this much-watch TV.

• Members

LML

-Made me like Nick for the first and ONLY time.

-Hired Nia Peeples as Karen - the only actress/character thus far that has even come close to filling the Dru void.

MAB

-Brad's death.

-Cane's death (before Sony ruined it).

-Restoring the traditional background music.

-Cast additions like Michael Muhney, Marcy Rylan, Jessica Collins, John Driscoll, Stephen Nichols, Debbi Morgan, Blake Hood, Darnell Williams, Peter Porte and Jessica Heap.

Archived