Top 5 things you hate about your favorite soap

• Members

OLTL

1. The constant paternity retchons that made no sense especially Rex being a Buchanan.

2. The ridiculous is it rape storylines (Todd & Blair 2004, Todd & Marty 2008, Jessica & Ford 2010 to name a few).

3. The creation of Gigi Morasco.

4. Too many pregnancy storylines

5. Too many bad teen actors

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guiding Light

1. Firing Millie Taggart as Headwriter

2. Bringing back Bradley Cole as Jefferey.... UGH

3. Firing Grant Aleksander

4. Ellen Wheeler and all the crap she did too the show

5. Making the show Jonathan/Tammy centric

Only thing I hate about OLTL is that it is gone. It wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it enough and I would rather have something to complain about than nothing (but that's just me lol)

• Members

ATWT:

1) The wasted last year. Unlike other cancelle soaps, ATWT had a good, long notice before they went off the air. They could have used the time SO much better.

2) One bad new character after another: Gabriel, Ameera, Professor "Scarf", Audrey, Iris, Blackie, The Z Twins...ugh, I could go on and on.

3) Plot-driven character destruction. Damian, Vienna, Adam, etc

4) Idiotic plot choices: Exhibit A...ultra-annoying minor character (Audrey Coleman) kills the long-time No. 1 villain of the show (James Stenbeck), who has avoided death by FAR more important characters over the years.

5) Ending a 54-year old institution by pretending the 53 previous years never happened.

• Members

For DAYS currently....

1. The cheapness of the way the show looks. If they toned down the lighting, it would help mask the fact that Salem is made of cardboard. Perhaps it's the high definition, although it's looked this way since early 2009 (they didn't go HD til November 2010) when their budget was slashed. Salem just looks like a cheap, small plastic set. Everything from Horton Town Square to everyone's homes to Abe & Lexie's green plastic garden... it just looks CHEAP!

2. Going hand-in-hand with the cheapness (i.e. lack of budget) is the fact that they use the same sets all the time. What is it about DAYS (and before them, Guiding Light) where the lack of a budget affects the visual aspect and the set usage so drastically? This didn't happen to AMC or OLTL; it's not currently happening with GH. I can't speak of ATWT because I didn't watch it much, but it never got nearly as bad as GL did during their last 5 years. And now DAYS carries the torch as being the soap with a visually obvious lack of a budget.

3. Showcasing subpar couples as though the audience is actually invested in them. From the musical beds of Nicole, EJ, Rafe, Daniel, Brady, etc. to the uninteresting pairings like Abby/Cameron, Chad/Melanie, Gabi & anyone... so many couplings of the characters aged 18-40 are just not interesting. There's nothing we the viewers are invested in; the high stakes romance and escapism is just not there. In the good ol' days of soaps, the viewers (or the producers, if they let things develop organically) would spy chemistry between two characters and hope to see them fall in love. Nowadays, the-powers-that-be know right away who's being paired with whom, and they'll shove 'em down our throats 4 out of 5 days of the week, whether we the viewers like them or not (remember EJ and Taylor? Lord ha'mercy...). And sadly, because DAYS tapes 3 months in advance, it takes half a year for changes to be made.

4. Lack of interaction amongst the whole canvas. Have Jennifer & Lucas spoken yet since he came home? Have Lucas & Carrie spoken or had any awkward conversations? They were once married afterall. Does Billie have any friends? Do Kate and John remember when they were all hot 'n heavy? It seems like there's a lot of missed opportunities to have characters bonding and interacting, the way they initially did when the reboot started. Or as a better example, they way they all spoke and bonded during the time of Alice Horton's death.

5. Missing beats. These surprise twist secrets that we, the audience, aren't in on is getting to be annoying. So in that Brady Pub scene where Will and Sonny were casually speaking about Sami's sex romp with EJ that Rafe overheard, that was a planned reveal that Will orchestrated because of Stefano? I don't think so. Other missing beats are the reunions of such couples like Lucas & Sami and Jack & Jenn. So both couples are fully committed to each other again? They're living together again? I must've missed something.

Oops. I rambled. smile.png

• Members

Will doing all that for Stefano seemed like such a bad rewrite. What annoyed me in terms of missing beats was Will having no reaction to Rafe cheating with Carrie (and, as far as everyone knew, Nicole). And Rafe had no reaction to Will being gay and the effect on Gabi.

• Members

Gabi and Rafe are related? wink.png As much as I DON'T want another Hernandez family member, considering that fact that Mama Hernandez supposedly lives in Salem and Gabi still lives at home, shouldn't we have seen her at some point?

Another completely unrelated note: with a certain somebody set to return to Salem soon, wouldn't it be interesting if we finally met Marlena's parents? Or if they passed away? It's funny how some off-screen characters live forever. I'm guessing Tommy Horton will outlast everyone.

• Members

If I wrote the show then I would say that Eric has been in Colorado taking care of his grandmother, who has Alzheimer's, and who was once fiercely independent. Then I would show how Marlena reacts to this, and it could give some story to the other members of the family too.

• Members

YES!

Eric has been ion Colorado all this time, thats how they have written Ali into a few vacations and what not. Id love it if they explored this side of the family and had him return because his grandmother died, who Marlena for whatever wasnt very close with.

• Members

These two are my biggest problems with DAYS. Even if we had well-written stories with characters I liked, I still wouldn't be able to fully enjoy it because of the budget issues. If it was up to me, I'd fire half the cast and use those money for sets.

• Members

My ex favorite soap - GH...

5. Todd Manning (I can deal with him in small doses)

4. John McBain/ME

3. Kirsten Alderson/Starr Manning (no talent homely bitch)

2. Ron Carlivati - HACK!

1. Frank Valentini - besides Ron, who's he blowing to remain in this business?

1 and 2 are the reason I no longer watch my once favorite show. 3 and 4 solidifies it was a good decision.

The over powering OL presence on what used to be GH is like a knife in my heart.

ANDREA

Archived