Mistresses: Discussion Thread

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

Yeah, y'know...I didn't think it was half bad. It's not the most original premise, but I think it's some good trashy fun. It's not uber-annoying like GCB, and it's better than The Client List.

Ironic that John Schneider looked hotter and younger here than on Haves and Have Nots.

• Members

I think the main issue--and some of the critics admitted to this--is so far in storylines it seems to be extremely a safer, and less fun version of the UK stories--there's no deviation really (I guess there will have to be--like with the Queer as Folk remake, the American series if a hit-0-and it doesn't seem to be--will have to fill way more than 16 episodes over three years.) It's hard to watch the pilot and not just think about how much more witty, naughty, and *fun* the UK version was. But I doubt that affected ratings as while I know it aired on BBCUSA I doubt many of the same people watched it.

• Members

I was surprised--it was much better than I thought and I enjoyed it. That's not to say it was necessarily good, but it's good, pure, trashy soap opera and that's what I was looking for. Of course, I'm going to have to see the UK one... it sounds like great fun!

• Members

YRBB--knowing some of your taste, I think you would love the UK original. As a review said: "It's "Sex and the City" London-style, but with a darker edge, and more brains and gravitas. It works as legitimate drama, it works as soap trash."

The most egregious case of something being lost in translation involves the character of widowed mom April a serene beauty who runs a fancy high end store — a reversal of the original Trudi character, who was charmingly flustered and refreshingly deglamorized as she stumbled into a baking business while carrying on with an affable single dad.

Interestingly, apparently they did a pilot for a remake back a few years back for Lifetime, also with Rochelle Aytes.

Archived