January 23-27, 2012

Toups

• Members

Those attacks about Jacob Young being an "idiot" for going over to B&B (and not signing on with the "genuises" at PP who were going to turn AMC into a "major success") were not only vicious and unfair, they proved to be completely wrong as well.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's no question that this is the story doing it for them. It is classic and simple soap opera. The rooted for almost-lovers being kept apart and apart and apart. Minor reunions thrown in. B&B can top Y&R in demo if they keep milking this and get some equally compelling side stories.

B&B has been rising for a while. On the other hand, DAYS wasn't despite cancellations. So while I don't discount the double cancellation helped a little, I definitely think they have a story that's appealing to their viewers and general viewers going on.

• Members

You would think the people running these shows would have learned by now that stunt casting, big vet returns have nothing over a good soapy story . All the ratings increases sustained over the past few years at Days, OLTL, and now B&B was due to a popular Frontburner story not casting changes

• Members

I agree, but I definitely think AMC and OLTL off the air is helping CBS.

With OLTL off, I'm not going to be getting into any other soaps, I'm just done with daytime, but I am glad for B&B and I hope it continues to grow for it's fans.

• Members

Y&R

Monday: 3.8/5,210,000

B&B

Monday: 2.7/3,729,000

Tuesday: 2.5/3,340,000

Wednesday: 2.7/3,689,000

Thursday: 2.6/3,498,000

Friday: 2.6/3,875,000

Women 18-49 Rating

1. Y&R 1.5/9 (same/-.1)

2. B&B 1.3/8 (+.2/+.4) <——- 3 year high *

I'm so glad B&B's ratings are finally getting some attention as OLTL overshadowed its growing ratings the past half-year.

That's amazing for B&B to be hitting a 3-year high as that just doesn't happen for soaps these days or many shows in daytime period.

I'm not sure if people have noticed but I really think both Y&R and B&B has benefitted from the ABC cancellations as their audience have stopped bleeding and started growing again once AMC went off air. I know a lot of AMC viewers love watching their stars on Y&R and with B&B being so good lately its holding its own picking up new viewers.

Y&R and B&B are going to make it very hard on CBS to cancel them after their contracts are up as they've actually been helping out The Talk lately with their rises.

DAYS

Monday: 2.1/2,857,000

It's good to see DAYS hanging tough right now as they had a huge Monday and one of their biggest ratings on an individual day in a while. If DAYS hangs on with their current viewers and find a way to get some new ones in there I see NBC hanging onto it a little longer than people predict. There's no real reason for NBC to get rid of DAYS its not doing horribly bad and I think they know with the disaster that ABC Daytime has become that canceling DAYS would be bad in their attempts to regrow their prime time audience in the coming years.

GH

Monday: 1.7/2,365,000

Tuesday: 1.5/2,063,000

Wednesday: 1.7/2,362,000

Thursday: 1.8/2,440,000

Friday: 1.6/2,268,000

I hope everybody realizes how solid these numbers are for GH b/c if you've seen The Revolution's asolutely horrible lead-in ratings which have been at 1.2s and 1.3s and 1.5 million viewers then you would definitely respect these numbers a little more. GH is growing large ammounts out of The Revolution and actually is beating The Chew most of the week still being ABC's top daytime program outside of The View at the moment. ABC would be very wise to hang onto GH for another year b/c GH may experience a huge growth spurt like OLTL did before the year is over with the changes made to the show.

• Members

B&B's numbers started increasing once AMC was off the air. But wow I didnt see them growing even more. I have to tune in again as I havent had a chance to watch the show.

What happened on Monday to have Days get those numbers??

GH is just toast...awful daily ratings.

• Members

It's strange though because I don't know anyone who actually likes Hope/Liam.

This is the same story B&B has been telling for what seems like an eternity - I wonder if the ratings are just up because of less competition and because of the increased production values.

• Administrator

It's not about Liam/Hope as a couple. I believe it's the story structure - a couple being kept apart by people scheming. The scheming people get busted and the couple reunites - it's a formula that's worked in the past and will continue to work. I don't understand why there's not more of these type of storylines and structure.

• Members

The structure has always seemed a bit weird to me - Steffy becomes obsessed with Liam, Bill enables this even though he is in love with her, Liam strings Steffy along even though he supposedly loves Hope. It's plot over character. I saw much more interest in the story here and elsewhere when it was Bill/Steffy/Katie. Brad Bell has never known how to tell a story so I'd be surprised if the writing made any new viewer tune in.

• Members

I'm not sure if they're that far apart - most of the stories which got the most negative reaction online were also dropped quickly (Bridget/Ridge, that berry sh!t with Brooke and Thomas). Any B&B story is crashed and burned in no time at all, but those went very fast.

I think the show is benefiting from several factors that make the writing, which still seems to be all over the place (Beverly? Donna Duck/Nick/Pam, pointless Thomas, pointless Amber, et al), less of an issue for viewers. I don't know if anyone rushes to the set because Steffy is hit by a ski lift.

• Members

I will just agree to disagree ' I think the magic berries actually got a lot of buzz because it was silly, and the story played out as planned. There was an insider a while back that said ABC for example use detailed ratings reports for their shows reporting in 5 minutes increments what the viewing numbers are to get a gauge on what actual viewers tune in or turn the channel on. 2 specific stories universally panned online as examples were actually stories viewwrs were watching based on ratings reports. I don't have a hard time believing this story has people watching but I am sure there are other factors.

Archived