January 23-27, 2012

Toups

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Max... I really like your posts, but WHO said that? There was some disappointment that he wouldn't continue with PP especially considering the ending. I don't remember *anyone* on here saying that though. Everyone seemed to echo MEK's thoughts that he would be smart to accept the sure fire job not a questionable one. People did say that they probably wouldn't use him much, which so far is kinda true...

• Members

Even if his stint on B&B was short term, that's more money he'd be making unemployed and it keeps him out there before his next gig. I don't see the problem at all. And of course with B&B you take a risk and sometimes you break out, sometimes you don't. I think it's a risk worth taking considering B&B does pay well and has a good work schedule.

As for the ratings success, I think it's the Spencer storyline in general. I like all the actors involved, although I'm not fond of Liam and Hope as characters. She's an idiot for wanting him back and he's a creep for dumping her because she wasn't ready to have sex. However, I do think the characters of Steffy, Bill and Katie are hugely popular and they've heavily involved in this story. Everybody is forgetting that Katie was locked in the tower (with a location shoot) and Heather Tom is a powerhouse actress. I can see that bringing in eyeballs. In general I am mostly pleased with the show. Even Rick/Amber have potential. I don't think there's anything glaringly bad on the show and it has a good diversity right now. Camp, romance, drama and it's light enough to take in and go about your day.

• Members

Something about Katie has never really worked, IMO, although I do like Heather. I think most of the interest goes with Bill and Steffy.

I wouldn't say going to B&B is a risk - it's fast employment, after all. I just remember at the time there was a lot of, "PP sucks, he's right, how genius this is," and so on, and I got the feeling some didn't realize just how short the B&B shelf life often is.

• Members

People, let's not get stupid about this B&B ratings hike. The only reason B&B or any soap got a ratings boost over the past 2 weeks is due to the snowstorms that been going aross the US. I doubt the frontburner story on B&B have any to do with it. Besides, the ratings are too high to prove any true growth yet. I just don't want people to act like fools when the correction kicks into gear.

• Members

Reasons B&B is doing well:

-Some AMC/OLTL viewers not wanting to quit soaps entirely; B&B benefits by being a half-hour, fluffy, light, fun and mostly undepressing.

-Lunch-time slot + bringing over Jacob Young.

-ABC (rightly) getting punished by viewers.

-Steffy-Bill-Katie-Liam-Hope umbrella story is made of win and has longevity.

-Romance, not murder, front-and-center

Also: Don Diamont must be the luckiest man in Daytime.

• Members

Eric, I sincerely apologize for not digging through old threads to find a quote for you, but I distinctly remember Jacob Young and Debbi Morgan being the subject of personal attacks for not sticking with AMC and instead choosing a Bell soap. (I seem to recall that many of these attacks occurred prior to the airing of the finale.) As you alluded to, part of the attack centered on the fact that it was a bad career decision because they wouldn't receive as much airtime on B&B/Y&R as they did on AMC (yet this was completely irrelevant given that PP didn't have the money to get AMC off the ground). (The other part of the attack, which came later, was that they--along with other AMC stars who refused to sign on--were responsible for not making the PP project a reality.)

I can't speak for Debbi Morgan, but thankfully Young is finally being featured more on B&B. I believe the writers and producers know his talents, which is why they are embarking on a power struggle storyline between Rick and Ridge.

Archived