GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am too, if only because I remember them showing clips of her at the Emmys/SOD Awards and I always thought her storyline seemed interesting.

I'm more of an ATWT fan than a GL fan so I was more excited about that release, but that episode on the SoapClassics site was positively involving! I LOVED it and especially LOVED seeing my Harley Jane Kozak as Annabelle. I thought she was PHENOM!

I have to say, even though it's far from GL's glory days, I was really hoping to see an episode with Marcy Walker's Tangie on the release. I thought there might be a chance, since Curlee and crew were still around when she started, but alas, there isn't even an episode included from the years she was on, let alone with her in it.

I'm excited to see much of the early 80s stuff, including the "B" stories in the Roger/Holly rape episode. Kelly's wedding should be a good one, as I'm excited to see anything with Nola. I've loved Lisa Brown since Iva on ATWT (one of my all-time fave characters on that show) and it's exciting to see her in a different role.

I watched a clip from each episode and found most of them intriguing. I'll probably buy it when my tax return comes in the next couple weeks. Hopefully, by then, I'll get it at its lowest price, like I did with ATWT by waiting a little bit. :)

• Members

Michelle Forbes was awesome as the twin sisters Solita and Sonny. Her storyline with Zimmer kept me hooked to GL during the 80s. I am surprised she didn't do another soap like her co-star Breen did.

Lisa Brown is another fabulous actress. I am very anxious to get this DVD as well. I haven't seen much of the old GL like I have of ATWT. It will be great to see India as well and Joan Collins as Alex again.

Can't wait for my DVD to arrive this week.

• Members

Michelle seemed to lock into primetime work almost immediately after leaving GL. I do wonder if she would have done another soap if her primetime career hadn't worked out. It probably wouldn't have been for long, as she only stays at most of her jobs for a few years.

• Members

I kind of liked how the past characters just kind of "walked in," it made it seem more "real," and like they were just dropping on on "home," again, and like they still keep in contact and drop in on SF off camera from time to time. Kind of like the old days of ATWT when Marland would have people drop in when there was a family crisis or wedding.

For all of its down periods, (and it had many more down periods then ATWT) I always loved GL more. I always "respected," ATWT more (for keeping the vets and its history alive for the most part, much more then GL did. But GL was as different from ATWT as Bert Bauer was from Nancy Hughes. Bert and GL were both warm, louder, more affectionate while ATWT was like Nancy, reserved, classy, consistent, but just a tad bit cold. I think that is why Marland was such a good fit for ATWT, his writing is more reserved and cold.

GL still had the big, sloppy, messy heart up really until Conboy and Weston.

• Members

The only part of that era which truly baffles me is Alan with Hope, Alan trying to be part of the Bauer family. I think Elvera Roussel had a quiet charm and grace which helped explain why Alan was drawn to Hope, but as a long-term relationship this really never made a lot of sense to me.

• Members

My mail came and went today and no disks. I will be so disappointed if I don't have them to watch tomorrow night. :(

Marcy Walker was on the 1994 episode that got dropped at the last minute (due to tape issues that Roger mentioned earlier in the thread.)

Michelle got Star Trek: TNG very quickly after GL, and then a movie...and that was that. It was a whole big thing how they wanted her for ST: DS9, but she didn't want to commit to a long term contract and her character would have been the female lead.

• Members

It was the prototype good woman changes the cold businessman that Marland so loved. Good conflict between cold, aristocratic and amoral Alan and the warm, loving Bert and do good Mike. Never understood why that wasn't played up later. I always thought that for Bernau's return they should have brought in a recast Mike Bauer to clash/date Alex, and a recast Hope involved with Ross but drawn to Alan.

• Members

I think it's a good idea for a story, I just think it may have run too long - perhaps they could have split after the Rita affair was revealed and Hope could have started rebuilding her life. It's a shame Long/Kobe wrote her out.

Archived