GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Members

If the tape of the 1994 Ross and Blake nuptials is still misplaced, the Paley Center has a copy. If it isn't, well I hope we see it on another release eventually. I was wondering why there wasn't any Roger and Holly from the 90s, but that answers that question as they had a big part on that episode. There was barely a year where Roger and Holly had a bit of happiness.

When it comes to GL selling more, one of my theories has to do with the actors. While ATWT had a lot of great performers, many of them didn't really work outside of ATWT or other P&Gs. There could be a curiosity factor that comes into play for fans of other shows that are familiar with actors on GL, but saw them in other parts (like OLTL fans). GL also tends to have a large lapsed group, who left years before the end like the Roger/Holly fans. I wouldn't be surprised if any of them heard of this release and want to see the full April 1, 1980 episode.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They have all the tapes, it just wasn't in our hands the day we had to close on the DVD. As was the case with ATWT, some of the special or important episodes over the years were put in special boxes so when you're going through a sequence of tapes, inevitably the number I was looking for missing a lot of the time. Tapes are in two different places for GL, or they were at the time we were doing this.

Roger and Holly are both on the Alexandra episode where she humiliates Roger in front of everyone. But yes, I was hoping to get that time frame in for them. Someday!

• Members

That's true about Roger and Holly being in the 1991 Alexandra episode. What was the B-plot during the 1991 episode?

I hope I get my discs on Wednesday if not earlier as it would be great to celebrate the 75th anniversary by being able to pop a disk in the DVD player sit back and enjoy.

Agree on the 76-77 stuff. I'd even like to see some earlier things like original Holly with her brother Ken..

• Members

Aside from the few episodes Soap Classics has, is there a chance that more pre-1979 for ATWT and GL might become available or were they not saving episodes at this time. I know ABC started saving in about 1976 but knowing them, they probably already threw it away.

• Members

At the museums and on YouTube there are random ATWT episodes from 1957-1965. There's one on YouTube from 1978. I imagine these tapes are somewhere in this collection. The 20-episode format, or the 5-episode on for ATWT Christmas, seem to be the best way to roll something out quickly. Once we go back we get into 30-minute episodes, or 90-minute in the case of ANOTHER WORLD. So it's possible there could be more or less episodes to fill 20 hours. We have never discussed that though as what we've had so far are one hour episodes.

• Members

One of the Cliff House episodes from 1993 could have been included in for a more Roger/Holly centric episode. In particular the episode where they had sex for the first time since the infamous rape. Nancy Curlee told us she wrote that entire episode herself.

If there's another DVD release, that episode should hopefully be included.

It was a major turning point in their dynamic (something later writers didn't understand).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rPvhhXw9OoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archived