GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Members

Nola and Vanessa famously wore the same dress to an event at one point (I can't remember what that was, anyone?) Them walking in with the same dress was part of the GL opening for a while.

ATWT and GL definitely stayed focus on the current, especially ATWT (Goutman didn't care about the history). But GL did bring back a few and things like having Alan die and the weddings, and some other nice touches at least left it in a happy place or a place of closure. They were only in Springfield for the last 41 years of its run, right? The 70th anniversary was the perfect tribute to the early days, pre-Springfield. I would have loved some of my faves from the past to come back but many were either dead or wouldn't have been very connected anymore.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh I know what the line meant - I just wasn't sure whether it was scripted or not.

I had a long list of people I wanted to see again on GL, and surprisingly enough, I got most of them, even long forgotten characters like Bridget and Fletcher. Certainly it could have been more, or better executed, but just them showing up was enough for me, because I got to say goodbye.

I never really got to say goodbye with ATWT.

ATWT had the tougher job, in terms of DVD sales, because they were the first. Beyond that if GL sells more then the vibrancy of the show may be a factor. ATWT was a superior show, in many ways, but also more low-key. GL was, for most of its last decades, loud and proud, and if you look at those early TV episodes, started out screaming.

So many people wrote GL off so many times. I did too. But it will never truly die. Not with these DVD releases, and with our memories.

• Members

Nola and Vanessa wore the same Scarlett O'hara dress to Quint and Nolas Engagement party. They had a cat fight in the powder

room at the country club. I would kill to see that again. Plus Quint's Bachelor Party--Nola snuck into the party and got stuck inside the cake,

I think, They were a great couple .....

• Members

Thank you! I'm trying to keep my brain turned off today and refuse to try to remember things. :)

Nola had so many great moments. Maybe she could have her own DVD or great episodes and fantasy sequences someday. Her time on the show was iconic but if you missed those years you may not buy such a thing. I have no idea of all the nuances in the market. For me personally I would probably buy any classic soap DVD whether I watched it at the time or not. But don't know how common that is.

• Members

Was lillian's graveside confession to Maureen on the double wedding episode that is included on the DVD set? If so, then I totally get the inclusion.

I'm a little bummed about a lack of Roger/Holly episodes but with the time constraints, I understand it. Given that you only have late 1979 till the present to work with, I understand the difficulty of showcasing some great Roger and Holly episodes. Given that Roger went off the cliff in early 1980, and from what I hear... Holly's last months in 1980 were under-whelming... It sounds like Marland wrote Holly more like an Iva character then the Dobson's did. I liked how Long and then Curlee wrote Holly and Roger... though I think Mctavish trashed both Roger and Holly.... and then what was done to Holly later on (making her a stalker.. yikes!).

Nola was written best under Marland though Long didnt do a bad job of writing her (though I agree she was a little too much of a goof then 3-D). Which writer started softening Vanessa's character? Was it Long or did Marland start the process before quitting?

• Members

Yes, Lillian's visit to Maureen's grave was on that episode. That was my #1 selling point beause Maureen's death is also on the DVD . Even though these are full episodes and not an edited story I try to keep a theme of showing characters or couples or stories from one time to the next. I love seeing young Phillip, then watching him grow and change and then seeing him in the last week having come full circle with Beth.

The Roger death episode isn't the same as classic Roger but does have an old-Springfield feel - Bert praying at the chapel, etc. And features Roger, Holly, Ed, Mike, etc. I watched the one after that with Ed and Holly on the plane back to Springfield. I could keep watching those all day.

There are random episodes before Oct. 1979. I have seen two tapes from 1976 and two from 1977, one may be the first hour episode (not sure). I'm hoping to find some great Roger, Holly, Ed, Rita, etc stuff in there.

• Members

You should totally include in the next set Blake/Phillip's aborted wedding circa 1989 where Roger Thorpe is unmasked! I remember seeing that as a kid and my mom trying to explain to me the whole history of Holly and Roger Thorpe.. and how excited she was that they were coming back.

Wonder if the 1976 tapes you have possess any scenes of the first Holly? My mom would love to see an episode with her included.

• Members

Yes, abolutely sure. As of Friday. But that's only 3 days worth of data. Not sure if it's a fair comparison based on which 3 days ATWT was released on (can't remember) versus GL, different times of years, other factors.

I don't know when GL went live on Amazon. It wasn't there at first and not sure when it came online.

• Members

To be honest, I only bought ATWT because my mom loved that show.. I wouldnt have bought it otherwise... but when I heard GL was being put on DVD, I purchased it right away! I think until the late 90's, GL was always able to reinvent itself... I think ever after maureen's death, it still had a lot of potential until about 1998 or so. When San Cristobel came in then I knew it was totally the beginning of the end! I think had the show added just the Santos and mixed them in better then it would have been fine.. but a make believe island with a Prince??? I think not!

Archived