GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Members

There's some Barbara Berjer here! I would have loved the Hall of Mirrors day because I thought it would appeal to fans of so many characters. Eventually we'll see it with a different song. Or Rita and Alan's affair. I have uncovered a few pre-1979 tapes that still need to be screened and I'm hoping to find some buried treasure there as well.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish there had been something with Hamp/Gilly or David/Kat, yes I think they appear, but there isn't much focus on those characters in the episodes chosen and they are more cameos. (Of course with Hamp/Gilly there is a music issue, with their song being Roberta Flack and how she was at their wedding singing it.) I ditto on the Jennifer Richards scene in court, all I've seen of that in decent quality was what was aired on the Daytime Emmys before Doug Marland got the writing award

• Members

I placed my order. The episodes on this DVD is much better than the ATWT release. Why the peapock episodes were chosen is beyond me. The episodes totally sucked. I floved the 83 episode. I clearly remembered the episode like it was yesterday. It was a real treat to see it again. Grant looked so hot! I loved his breakdown. I enjoyed the whole musketeers storyline. Christopher B. The only Alan to me. I just enjoyed seeing all the Marlers and Readons. Everyone looked so young. Jerry Verdorn...hot! Thanks Roger for bringing back some wonderful memories.

PS...floved the theme music from that year.

• Members

I actually look forward to seeing the episodes on the disc... even though they are too many Reva esque episodes for my taste LOL Perhaps an idea for a DVD set could be to feature episodes from Reva-free eras :) LOL

Kidding aside... I think you should include a DVD set of all the Black-out episodes...Maybe episodes leading up to the blackout and maybe a few aftermath episodes? I would love to watch those again!

• Members

I wondered if the legendary Reva SOS day also had some L/B! I really loved Lujack, of course, still my favorite of all of VI's daytime characters. It's a lasting testament to the strong writing then and the vibrancy of his portrayal that I became hooked on the character and GL, 15 years after the fact on grainy copied VHS! I had only watched AMC until the spring of 1999, when a broken ankle kept me home from work for two months. I was so intrigued by VI's portrayal of dark, tortured David that when I found out he'd played other daytime roles, I just had to see more! The adventures and perfect young romance of Lujack and Beth took my mind completely off the pain and slow recovery, thanks to a generous friend willing to share her treasures with me, 36 edited hours worth! :) To see their story unfold, this time in perfect digital quality, is another treasure I'm very thankful for! :)

And then there was Nick, the unknown identical twin brother who made Mindy faint upon first seeing him, then he turned a still-grieving Alex's life totally upside down! I loved Nick too, so very different from Lujack, an educated, sophisticated investigative reporter who just couldn't let go of the man who looked just like him, but he didn't know why. The gradual realization that Nick could be Lujack's brother, including being haunted by visions of Lujack and by symbiotic twin moments he had no explanation for, was some of VI's finest work IMO. Ditto BM's Alex confronting her weasel of an ex-husband about selling Nick as a newborn for money, never knowing she had given birth to identical twin sons, was shattering, riveting soap! Thus began a most unusual triangle, the grieving, obsessed mother determined to do whatever it took to separate her son from her mortal enemy Mindy. And my oh my, how sweet and HOT Nick and Mindy were, fueled by VI and KS's real-life romance! :) It was such a shame KS left GL at the height of their popularity. VI gamely tried to recapture the magic with the Mindy (and Alex) recasts, but it was never the same. However, I liked Nick with Susan as well, both leaving town after a beautiful wedding! :) After VI left AMC in 2006, I really wanted Nick back on GL for a romance with Beth. She wasn't there when Nick arrived in 1991, and Beth returned in 1997 after he left. A HUGE missed opportunity IMO for a mature, complex romance deeply rooted in GL history! :(

The dark dysfunction of Alex and Roger (very glad that's included in the DVD set!) is what drew me into daytime's most complex, multi-layered grayscale villain! VI truly learned at the feet of the master MZ! :) The parallels of Roger and David and their dark, tortured psyches and obsessive loves still fascinate me!

• Members

Kimberly Simms is the only Mindy to me. Not only is she the first Mindy I saw, but to me, she played the part with most zest and sensuality.

I don't get the fuss about Krista Tesreau, and Barbara Crampton was totally miscast. The less said about Ann Hamilton, the better.

Anyway, solid episode selection with material from various eras.

Archived