Y&R: Discussion for the Month of December

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Chompers hates his family and will trash them at any opportunity. The biggest problem in this is that the story the show thought would make him a superstar (having him hanging onto the Newman tailpipe at all times) has generally been a repetitive, ratings-killing flop. I wish they'd just break up the Abbott family for good and stop pretending. It's tough to believe them anyway (I still can't even get over Abby being 25-30).

• Members

Billy doesn't 'hate' his family--he's just somewhat self-centered and a free agent. I actually see him as somewhat more realistic than a lot of soap characters in regards to his connection with family and like that his character isn't sentimental. Firstly, he is a grown man with a child of his own. Secondly, he is Jill's son, and far younger than Jack, Tracy and Ashley. If this were real life, Billy would resent all three due to how they have treated his mother. Also, he was away at school so there wasn't any time to 'bond' with his Abbot siblings.

I hate how soaps turn family into mush. On ATWT, it was silly how Carly fell in love with all those long lost newly discovered sisters--BARF! Human relations as well as family dynamics are far more complex than the average soap family and I actually give the current regine high marks for Billy.

I do agree that the Abbots should have been cut years ago. LML got this, saw that they were aging out and loosing purpose; unfortunatly, she was unable to create a viable new family aside from the Gloria tribe. Bill Bell knew well enough when to phase out a family (The Brooks, Fosters).

Billy isn't nearly as annoying as Aunt Jack plus he was great on Ringer!

• Members

It's funny how Billy Miller is always great on everything but Y&R.

He spit venom at John and acts like John was a bad father. He was happy to let his sister lose her mind. He was more than happy to nail his brother's wife. He hit his other sister up for money when she had just buried her child. He looks down on them and always has, and this has only been with Miller in the role. They rewrote it to suit Hogan Man With Balls and Miller's limited range. Miller has failed with each scene partner because connecting with a scene partner means doing something beyond making stupid faces.

I don't believe he's realistic. Any realism flew out the window when he actually stayed with Victoria. No way would he ever want this pathetic baby for anything beyond a one night stand to tell everyone he bagged a Newman daughter.

There are no families on Y&R. Sheffer hates families.

• Members

Soaps don't always turn families into mush, though. True, it might not always be realistic, but that's where escapism kicks in. For many, who don't have great relationships with their loved ones, seeing family members love one another (even if they don't always see eye-to-eye) makes them feel connected somehow.

• Members

I think Billy Miller is a decent actor who at times phones it in. Granted, Y&R doesn't always give give him the greatest material. He proved he has skills on Ringer. Let's not get an actor confused with a at times poorly written character.

Also, Billy is supposed to be the 'bastard' kid from John's later marriage to Jill and filled with conflict. The Abbot's treated Jill like crap. Ashley may be most guilty of treated her little brother's mom like [!@#$%^&*]. Mean while, Jill has her own share of issues and this just complicates Billy's connection to family even more. If anything, the writers did a fine job with the character once Miller took over. Previous to this, young Billy was just another care free trust fund kid

Archived