AMC - Friday - September 23, 2011

• Members

You know for all the people wondering who JR shot and how they'll explain it let me throw out some suggestions. We don't know JR shot anybody. We didn't see him pull the trigger. All we know for a fact is a shot was fired. There could've been somebody else in those tunnels. Jesse or Brot or Natalia could've seen JR about to pull the trigger and shot him. After all they are all cops. All I'm saying is that by going with the cut to black and the sound of a gunshot, AMC left itself infinite possibilities. Personally I think they're going to go with a time jump if/when the new show starts.

The bottom line for me on that is that there are some people who just hate cliffhangers. They just do. While others are perfectly comfortable not knowing. It's like how some people enjoy spoilers and others hate them or some people want stories to have a happy ending and others don't. It's all about personal preference.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can see why people don't like cliffhangers, or would say it's not the best thing for a show to go out on, but I do disagree when I hear people act like there was no happy ending or what a terrible thing to end with lives in the balance. There were a lot of happy endings. In life sometimes something bad happens too.

I think the main thing with Krystal was her moving out of Tad's house.

I wasn't very invested in Scott or Madison but I forgot to mention that I was glad they didn't have her get pregnant to somehow "make up for" her child's stillbirth. That's pretty much what most soaps do now...

• Members

I think as time as sunk in I thought my feelings on the ending would change and it really didn't.

For me I liked it but it wasn't a WOW. Now that I suppose could change over the months leading up to AMC 2.0. But I think the cliffhangers especially the David / patient cliffhanger suffered from pacing and confusion more than anything. The Erica cliffhanger I think I liked more than all because there was actually 41 years of story leading up to that moment and indeed Jack walking away as he did was a shocking moment. THe gunshot well I guess it was fine but then I had myself prepared for a mass shootout which I am happy they didn't play out. But its like anything else you expect something huge and it doesn't happen no matter how dreadful it might have been, it just loses its impact.

Overall I said I liked it but the letdown for me was that it didn't have the emotional impact the other days did. I didn't cry on Friday or even gasp but I sort of teared up with Angie on Monday and Joe talking about Kate on Wed and certainly Adam, Stuart, and Scott on Thursday.

I do think they did a great job overall closing the show out over the past 2 weeks and I hope fans are satisfied with that. Sure things were not perfect but I think they did a lot to restore what they could to the show and it actually showed. And even if AMC 2.0 never happens, I don't need all those moments wrapped up. Look at Cheaps list and most everyone got nice closure and fall into Agnes's goal of moving on with story to pick up on if they choose to.

• Members

Except for the 40th anniversary episodes, I hadn't seen AMC since around 1988...until this week. Since I'm not a faithful viewer, my opinion is from a different place than most people's on here but I thought it struck the right balance between "the end" and "to be continued." For those of us who won't follow AMC to...well, wherever it goes, there were plenty of satisfying conclusions. For me, most notably Jesse and Angie since they were a couple when I watched. As for the loose ends, I love the idea of making the audience draw their own conclusions. It IS fiction, after all, so every viewer can write their own ending. In my view, it's almost disappointing that the show is continuing on because one thing that can probably be predicted is that wherever it continues, it will be in some random, haphazard manner that pleases nobody.

• Members

I agree about pacing - for instance, the Stuart resurrection happened so quickly I wasn't as emotional as I may have been. I think it was a warm goodbye, with some moments that got to you. I liked the early scenes in Friday's episode. I was impressed that they managed to get a lot of key moments into such a short timeframe, something that ATWT and GL struggled with.

I had expected scenes where JR would jump out with the gun and Dixie or Adam would scram and cry, then JR would aim and we wouldn't know who he shot. I'm glad they didn't do that, but I do wish we'd seen the gun firing, as I think that would have had a bigger impact.

• Members

Thats actually an excellent point and you know what like the shooting and the "massacre" that people assumed was going to happen, people start speculating and then the reality never matches the ideas people come up with. And its where most soaps have suffered over the years is the big shock and then the fallout fizzles out or they end up taking the cowards way out because they don't want it to impact someone popular on the show, not getting that things would resonate more if they happen to characters viewers are invested in, I think the reason people were buzzing about the shooting had a lot to do with it being JR someone we cared about and the spiral downward with him makes sense. If it was anyone else we likely would not care.

• Members

I watched it again last night, and it was just as good the second time. Not perfect and not always wonderful (David asking for the money was LOW, even for him), but it was good.

What really hit me, was when Jack told Krystal just how long J&E have been doing this dance. What did he have to show for it? Absolutely nothing. He was in the same spot with her that that he started in 24 years ago.

• Members

Cheap - great summaries! I think Asher/Caleb had their goodbye weeks ago. They are living together, learning about each other and becoming a dad/son duo. Asher is going to school, and Colby/Asher have a few classes together.

For Krystal, she is moving on... out of Tad's house and into her own. She still shares Jenny with Tad, and will forever be involved with the Martin family. I have a feeling Jack/Krystal will end up together.

• Members

<object id="otvPlayer" width="400" height="268"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=&station=wls&section=&mediaId=8366008&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site=" ></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed id="otvPlayer" width="400" height="268" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" allowfullscreen="true" src="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=&station=wls&section=&mediaId=8366008&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site="></embed></object>

Haha, I was there! :)

• Members

I would've hoped for more flashbacks that were pre-HDTV. Days of Our Lives showed some great flashbacks on Friday's episode.

I agree with whomever said the finale was very much MODELS INC.

I liked feeling like life goes on in Pine Valley, but for this one instance (except for Erica/Jackson) everyone was at a happy, content place in life.

Archived