AMC - Friday - September 23, 2011

• Members

Ok I just watched the finale again and am wondering something. Ok so you know how they showed several different angles looking on at others from inside the Chandler tunnels? Were those supposed to be all angles JR could see? If so how is that even possible? I watched several times, even in slow-motion and wondered how he could see everyone from just that spot. It's a bit far fetched but what if there's someone else in another section of the tunnels, with a gun to?

I'm convinced more was taped & will be revealed online

I did that earlier and was crushed to...;-(

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

*sigh* I finally got around to watching the last 3 episodes + The View Tribute this afternoon.

I felt the episodes leading up to the finale (minus the Kane day for various reasons) were beautiful (especially the day Stuart was revealed to be alive). The opening to the final episode about "birth" and children with Angie's voice over was beautiful, and I started crying, so I wasn't sure what state I'd be in by the end. I felt the episode was really fast paced (which all of you seem to concur with).... which also leads me to believe the 2 hr thing was true, and ALOT of stuff was cut. I liked how all the character's got "endings" in a sort that are left open ended. Obviously they needed to do this for the PP re-launch.

Jack and Erica's resolution I thought was handled rather well and very cheesy, but in a good way. I, however, would have preferred Erica Kane to end not chasing after Jack, but accepting the truth that she truly does not want to settle down.

The cliffhanger.... it was soapy, it was AMC soapy, it was GOOD.... not what I would have done, but good none the less. A few weeks ago I accused Jacob Young of being one-note with this storyline. I still maintain at that time he was, but this last week he has been amazing. I hope she gets an emmy nomination.

David's secret patient... who knows who it is. I suspect we will never find out.

I honestly cried more during The View tribute. That image at the end of all the guests and Agnes crying, being propped up by Susan Lucci and Laurence Lau. I lost it. I can't imagine how Agnes must feel.

So, yes. AMC got a fairly satisfying ending.... and an ending true to its core.

• Members

Probably unpopular opinion but AMC deserved some of that mocking for its David resurrection crap. Seriously, the over-use of back from the dead made this 30+ year viewer of soaps wince. The only return I can truly applaud was Leo's... I wish he was alive, like Greens, but glad in a way his death was not cheapened like the others.

On 41 years and all everyone remembers is Susan Lucci's name? Ouch.

• Members

I don't think anyone's upset that the show was mocked. It's more that the show was mocked in the most lamest, stalest, "done"-est of ways. Like really? You're gonna do a parody of a soap, and the whole thing consists of random people walking in and blurting out "funny" soap exaggerations? That's it? And the tight close-ups. That was funny on Carol Burnett's show in 1974. Now...not so much. I'm surprised there wasn't organ music.

• Members

Stale is relying on the same soap cliches in 2011 that you did in 1974.

And I'm not beating up on just AMC, it's true of OLTL too... which over-uses the tight-closeups and yeah the dramatic music too much too, see Shane's close up on Friday.

I guess I am down because PP doesn't sound like they will modernize the writing either... and that breaks my heart as the genre can't survive with these stale, lame plots. We need fresh blood asap and some cutting edge ideas... not more of the same STALENESS.

• Members

But the jokes are still applicable, that's what I am talking about.

If SNL had run this parody and AMC hadn't penned all those stupid cliches in YEARS... I'd be on your side and suggest SNL looks darn foolish and stale.

Instead, they re-ran a 70s parody with same jokes THAT were still applicable today and THAT, my friends, is a form of satire in itself. It's like making fun of the Texas Board of Education skit by writing them stuck in the time warp of the 50s. Chevy Chase did a similar skit in the 70s and sadly it's still applicable today, too.

I guess my point is take a step back from the same corny jokes and consider... hell, why was MY SOAP still mired in 70s cliches 41 years later?

Archived