DAYS: September Discussion Thread

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Phillip and Nathan both had decent send offs. Nathan got the Johns Hopkins things, cried with Maggie, then left town. Phillip got custody of Parker, said goodbye to Victor, then reconciled with Kate and they had a great scene and then he was off.

Louise just got a big fat kick in the ass out the door. That wasn't handled with class at all.

• Members

Has Days done any promotion on "The New Days". Other than the internet interviews and the Jack promo for this week, I haven't seen anything run on NBC. Of course it is premiere week for PT which could have an impact. one of my friends who was a Days fan who hasn't watched in over a year knew nothing about any of the changes coming until I mentioned it to her.

• Members

I think it's both, but more about how the firings were done. Corday never spoke to her about it. Ever. Gary Tomlin is the one who delivered the news...he was fired weeks later. Corday's been like that with Louise Sorel for years, she is an absolute professional in that she is an actors actor and gets the job done beautifully. She is committed to the work and doesn't phone it in.

And in terms of the exit scenes...I'm sure D&M figured that they were delivering a cute and happy send off for Vivian. But in doing so with the Bollywood angle, they cheapened the chemistry between Vivian and Ivan and they made Vivian, who was once so formidable and dynamic, into a bit of a cartoon.

I think what Corday and indeed some viewers just don't understand about Louise Sorel is that even though she's played a very campy, outrageous, divalicious character, she is a deadly serious actress. She is a deep person. A deep thinker. Regardless of how fun things got on screen, to her they were serious scenes with a comic touch. She just doesn't like anything to be dumbed down or cheapened which is probably why she has never squared with Corday, she doesn't just take it, she works with it and makes it into something better.

I wish Louise so many good things because she gave me such joy over the years. She is the epitome of an actress, not a star and I think that's how she'd like to be remembered for her work on DAYS.

• Members

Well Louise seems to be a flash of the past because I don't believe Corday or any of the showrunners care a bit about quality or professionalism anymore. I dont care how many times he reinvents Days. If he gave a crap he wouldn't need to reinvent the show every year because of his mistakes.

I haven't been a Vivian fan at all during this return but like Crystal Chappel, both ladies did what they could with the schlock they were given and should be commended.

• Members

terrible absolutly terrible send off for Louise Sorel. i wont ever expect her to return this time...and ive seen Monday's episode

oh also they keep talking about how this party is for Alice and Tom you would think their family would return for this even if they were not long term stays like carrie and austin marlena etc...it would have been nice to see Alice's daughter Marie for a day and Bill and Laura again and ummm where is Lucas? its a nice party that the Brady's are celebrating The Hortons

• Members

I just fisnihed getting caught up on all week. It was so odd to see Sami and Jenn so close with Jenn helping her out on her interview. I dont ever recall them having much of anything to do with each other let alone being so chummy. Jenn is the aunt to 2 of ehr kids but thats easy to forget since Jenn never interacts with them. She's probably had a couple of scenes with Will and none with Allie since she's been back. I wouldnt think she'd care too much for Sami anyway over the whole Lucas thing. I dont mind it though bc its good to see characters interact that rarely do as opposed to being isolated in an island of only those in the same story

As for the Caroline talk, she was much more interesting when she was a bitter quacky witch, hurling insults and have you wondering if she's growing a bit senile and cuckoo in her old age

Good to see Ivan back but Vivian's exit was so stupid. What a mess

So Nicole breaks up with Brady for the 200th time. Please let this be the last

• Members

I loved how they handled the Brady/Nicole break-up. It was like the writers were saying, "We know this couple got severely fucked up by the last regime, so we're going to make it clear that they need time apart, but we'll make it bittersweet so that we can always go back to it." These two need a year or more of not being romantically involved.

I'm a little peeved that Vivian and Carly didn't cross paths at the end there. They could've cut one of those pub scenes -- and one of the endless scenes of Carly eating cupcakes at rehab, or whatever she and her terrible bangs were doing -- to have them run into each other. I would've even taken it on the damn pier, as Carly/Nicholas/Melanie cross and Vivian is leaving with her band of misfits. That said, I think the characters all got pretty respectful exits and are in good places. Plus, Taylor is gone!

Friday's flashback episode was great. I could always clamor for more flashbacks, of course, but these were used well. And the simple fact that they had an episode of Hope, Bo, Doug, Julie, Maggie, and Jennifer sitting around talking about Tom and Alice -- that is why Days is one of the last four soaps standing.

• Members

I never minded Caroline as a bitter, cranky bitch. What does she have to be happy about? Her husband for decades is dead. The man she secretly probably still loves isn't sniffing around her anymore. Sami drops her brats off all the time. Kim's gone. Kayla's gone. Bo is barely around. Roman is non-existent. It made sense that Caroline wasn't the sugary sweet, tea pouring matriarch. I like her with flaws. I mean, Caroline kept Bo's paternity a secret for what, 20-25 years?

Anyway ...

I enjoyed Friday a lot. It's too bad more Horton's aren't there, but what's sad was that I was more moved in one hour with these new writers, with the Tom/Alice flashbacks than I was for most of Alice's memorial when nearly all of her family was around. I really wish MarDar had been able to write Alice's memorial. It would have been so much better. But anyway ...

My biggest gripe with the show is the lack of Horton's. Mike, Jeremy, Sarah, Bill, Laura, Marie, so much could be done with them (I'd add Melissa but I don't see Lisa Trusel returning full time and there's no need for a recast, IMO) even in supporting roles. Hell, Susan and Bill Hayes are more than willing to appear more often as the new Tom and Alice! And they would serve great in those roles. Marie hasn't been relevant since she exited the show in the late 80s. She was ignored for all of the 2000s, and appeared a few times during JER's reign (Tom's funeral, Hope & Bo's aborted 1996 wedding). I will always give JER credit for using family ties and reinvigorating the Horton's and DiMera's.

Anyway ... very excited for the relaunch Monday.

Archived