DAYS: September Discussion Thread

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lordy, it is that time of year already. Wow, 2011 is going quickly.

All I can say is this new team better keep the returnees in check and keep the longer cast members busy, or the door won't get a chance to tap me on the butt as I leave.

• Members

Remos I may not agree with you all the time but on this yes. Days desperately needed changes but I am not in the least excited about any of these returns aside from Jack. Hes about the only character out of this entire group I find remotely interesting and I am sure we get the Predictable goofy Jack running after Jennifer.

But on the flip side, Days has always been a show known for high OTT romance and super couples and not one couple on this show has that sort of romantic flair and draw aside from Bo and Hope I suppose. No not even Ejami who were more dysfunctional than romantic. So I can see them investing from that perspective. But I am a tad saddened that the writers didn't even consider working with the canvas they inherited but maybe that was beyond their control.

• Members

<p>

</p>

<p>No, it wasn't beyond their control. Douglas Marland's rules of Soap Writing include not making major changes for 6 months. What we see on our canvas today is a great story between Carly/Vivian/Quinn that will never be told, a relationship for Mel that is forced to end, and a new chapter for Chloe/Brady that will never be realized. All of them had potential in the right hands, but instead of that the new writers think this &quot;Re-boot&quot; return to the 90's couples is a better choice. They could have done both, and because of their heavy handedness I have great fear that those characters who have managed to avoid the knife will be placed on the backburner while Marlena's family controls the show again.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

• Members

I guess when I say beyond their control is perhaps Corday already decided HE needed to do such and such to get fans back. I say that because Corday has a tendency to do his "Plan to Save Days" once every 2 years or so and only seems to interfere when things are in crisis mode so to speak or when Higley called on him.(I think Whitesell was fired due to Higley JMO). Big returns haven't done anything for any other show that has done this other than create buzz. OLTL's increases have little to do with RH and more to do with the story surrounding his return.

• Members

<p>

</p>

<p>Sigh…. yeah…. crisis management has yet to be successful in Soapland (or anywhere else).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm not loosing the feeling that all of this will blow-up. Focusing on a few characters has hurt every show, and the most breathtakingly logical thing any show has ever done was Days firing the DH2. Backtracking on that one with the codicil &quot;this is what fans want&quot; is shark infested territory IMO. If one fan base feels they have that power, what else will they push? The fans that truly understand the mechanics of soap drama are few and far between. Everyone else is exceptionally myopic.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

Archived