DAYS: September Discussion Thread

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How can anyone hate John? Drake Hogestyn is the Lord of All Soap Actors. Did anyone see his interview at welovesoaps where he said he has to get his eyebrow under control? I am really happy John and Marlena are back and for more than just saying hello. I wonder if John will ever remember that EJ shot him at point blank range.

• Members

I have never seen Carrie as a saint. If anything she was always written as a victim. I used to hate JERk for that, but that he would give her a backbone and have her bitchslap or punch Sami and I would forgive him.

I really do hope that she's less passive aggressive though, especially now that she and Sami are on good terms...for now anyway.

• Members

<p>

</p>

<p>I don't think Carrie was either a saint or a victim. I think your reference to Passive Aggressive is the most accurate. The writing always paralleled Sami and Carrie - the &quot;bad&quot; daughter vs &quot;good&quot; daughter. That is a horrible set up no matter where it comes from, and everything they did was seen in that vein. So no matter how much Sami tried, she could never overcome her past, and conversely no matter what Carrie did, people were always offering her excuses.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm hoping time and separation has changed that dynamic.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

• Members

You know what though its always on a characters exit that they suddenly become interesting. I haven't enjoyed one moment of Carly's return up until now the end of this story. If Carly was not leaving canvas we'd probably have her continuing her downward spiral over Dr. Dan. BUt seriously I would have liked seeing what the new writers could have done with the character. And yeah not interested at all in John/Marlena

• Members

Ditto

Yeah, what's with that? It's quite frustrating especially when as a fan we've been advocating for a story and then suddenly, viola, proving the writers could have done it if they were interested in the first place. That is not a good statement to make to ANY fan base.

• Members

Because writers already have their minds made up on how exactly they want to use someone, who will be their love interest, exactly what their story will be with no contingency plans. In all honestly its probably tied to the pace and lack of time writers are given to make something or someone work in today's climate. its incredibly unfair to the actors who end up taking the fall when the writers plans don't work. Its easier to fire someone and start new than it is to try and work the character somewhere into the canvas where they might work. I think its moreso the case when you have a highly paid actor like CC who probably costs a pretty penny than a younger actor who is less expensive.

• Members

I get that, but the thing is the writers are paid to use the whole canvas so why is it the exit stories finally start using the actor well? It's not just Days, it's all across the board and the end results are that fans want more but know it's coming to an end. Perhaps it is merely a catch-22 that good stories have a natural conclusion for the characters, or maybe the actors actually pour it on when they know they are leaving so they can parlay their latest work into a new gig. Whatever it is, it's one of the more frustrating things done to the fans and definitely one of the Murphy's Soap Laws.

• Members

The truth is I love watching Drake H in the way I loved watching William Shatner on Star Trek. A good ham is worth his weight in gold and a lot more fun than a brilliant actor. That's why while Patrick Stewart was the Shakepearean acting whiz with all the talent as Capt Picard, it is still Captain Kirk who is the cooler one that can bring a smile to your face watching his oratorical flourishes.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_cOlJdObNlc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Talent can't buy this line delivery. You either have it or you don't. Drake doesn't have that but he has the eyebrow which is the best brow in daytime, and he gives every line the most serious deadpan delivery no matter how ridiculous the stuff he says is.

Archived