The best show currently on televison?

Juliajms

• Members

I see the phrase "best show on television" bandied about a lot, so I'm interested in everyone's opinion. Which show is the best on TV right now, in your opinion?

I think for me, it's "Breaking Bad". This show has it all. Great characters, actors that are simply amazing, interesting camera work and a suspenseful plot. This show always has me on the edge of my seat.

I give an honorable mention to Game of Thrones, Dexter, Justified and Treme.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You've never seen Breaking Bad?? You must. I would not steer you wrong Q. If you do watch start at episode 1, season 1, it is well worth it. Oh, I agree with you about Spartacus. I don't know how I could have forgotten.

• Members

Greys Anatomy had a great season IMO. Better than the mess that was Season 6. I use to love Desperate Housewives but quality of the show is dropping. It needs to end this season.

My favorite show now in the summer is Pretty Little Liars.

• Members

Breaking Bad, no question, best show on TV right now, followed by Justified, the 2nd season was just amazing. So glad Timothy Olyphant got an Emmy nomination.

Game of Thrones, The Killing, The Walking Dead & Boardwalk Empire had fantastic 1st seasons, hopefully they can keep up the momentum for their 2nd seasons.

Supernatural is a favorite of mine, really underated show, the leads have given some really good performances.

• Members

SUpernatural has always been a fun show for me, but this past season, at some point, I realized I kinda had lost interest. They prob should have ended it the season before as the creator intended. I'll continue to watch it probably, but I find I pay less and less attention. Vampire Diaries has taken over that slot in my brain - I wouldn't call it a brilliant show, but it's a lot of fun, and keeps me glued.

As for best show - Dexter also has kinda lost me, last season felt directionless. I dunno, I hate to think it's past its sell by date, we'll see how this year is.

As others have pointed out, it seems a bit unfair to compare a show with a great first season to a long running one, but Game of Thrones is currently my fave show on tv. Nearly everything about it (I complained in the thread that some of the sexploitation added from the novels doesn't seem to fit) is perfect.

I still love True Blood and as pure enjoyment it's prob my other fave show, although I admit it's much more in a guilty pleasure way (which is fine, Alan Ball has made no qualms that he's trying to do really really good pulp entertainment).

Breaking Bad is right up there, and looks to be off to a great start, bt something about it keeps me from outright loving it. Walking Dead is up there too--we'll see with Season 2. And I love love love Mad Men but since that's not back till 2012, who knows.

There are a lot of shows I watch regularly, like Glee, that annoy me as much as they don't (The Big C is another one, as was United States of Tara, which I liked more than was annoyed by, but it's over now). It's a bit depressing to realize that there's not much on network tv I care much about. I pay more attention to shows like So You Think You Can Dance than sripted shows.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

There's hasn't been a show on the major pay channels (HBO, Showtime) that I've enjoyed since Dead Like Me. I don't like gore (I hate horror movies) and it seems most of them are all about the blood and guts.

For my money, Justified and Castle are the two best shows right now and at opposite ends of the spectrum. I like some variety in my viewing so watching darker shows like Justified is enjoyable, but I'll never stray far from the dramedy. Sons of Anarchy is pretty awesome as well.

Archived