• Members

Yeah, I mean, while it *is* the NYP, it isn't exactly The Globe. I wouldn't let that gaff cost the entire article its credibility. Looks to me like somebody got wind of a juicy piece of something, and even without official confirmations they felt confident enough to run with the story before someone beat them to it. But who knows?

If this is true, first order of business is to snatch the pen from Debbi Morgan's hand before she signs anything too permanent over at Y&R.

Beyond initial shock/guarded excitement, my first thought was how this transition would be handled by AFTRA, i.e., if these shows would be grandfathered under normal TV jurisdiction or if contracts would have to be renegotiated under New Media (e.g., Web Series) agreements. SAG and AFTRA share New Media jurisdiction (where there are no set union minimums which could potentially be a big problem when you start [!@#$%^&*] with people's money no matter how much they say they're team players), and say SAG offers AMC and One Life a sweeter deal than AFTRA and we have another B&B-type drama on our hands.

Frankly, I hope this is true for the sake of us fans who have hope in a new dawn for soaps, but mostly because I am curious as HELL to see how they would pull this off.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would offer it as a subscription service, $10 a month for 3 episodes a week. If they get just 200,000 hard core fans to pay that's 2 million a month which is supposedly half the million a week these soaps are reported to spend now. But they would only be adding 3 episodes a week. And they could go for cheaper salaries and still maintain the lighting, sound and set quality.

That's always been the deal killer for me with online stuff, the technical shabbiness of it all. The only one I was able to tolerate (and hear) was the Vanessa Marcil gangster one from a year or two back.

• Members

I'm trying to figure how this will work out especially since there is already Hulu, Netflix and itunes out there even Hulu had to lower there subscription prices and offer more content before people started buying into it. What other shows will they be offering since these other online sites have contracts with most major networks and film companies, and yes it will have to be a paid site if it is going to last and how much since unlike Hulu they will be producing the shows also people aren't going to pay more than nine bucks.

• Members

Oh up is down and black is white and dogs and cats are living together because this time I'M the one who's thrilled and everybody else is cynical. :lol:

All I've ever really wanted is a new soap and if this is true in any way, shape or form that's what these will be! This is the closest thing I can get to wiping the slate clean and getting out from under the destructive creative vision of ABC/Disney and I'll take it. I'm jumping for [!@#$%^&*] joy! They can do all the things necessary to genuinely evolve the genre and no, the SOS crowd isn't going to like it and it might go down in flames but it will be a great experiment in the meantime and there is nothing left to lose.

Archived