AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He talks all this bullsh!t, but then tweets something like this:

But I thought OLTL's longevity was decided long before AMC's? And if they only canceled AMC to save face for canceling OLTL, then why would they choose to cancel GH at the same time (albeit without saying as much)? Oh, must be that conspiracy to destroy po'LTL.

Please. When has ABC ever given a damn about what soap fans think? OLTL could be the #1 soap on the network. If they wanted to cancel it and keep the other two, they would! They don't give a damn about you, Jamey!

• Members

Geez, what's the damn difference at this point? The fact is that no matter what show is better (and I agree that OLTL is the better show) and no matter what show is doing marginally better in the ratings, the fact is that ABC's plan is to be soap-free before 2013. So silly.

• Members

Buried in the Deadline piece:

"There had been speculation that another network might step in to rescue the shows, including rumors about interest by NBC in OLTL as a companion to Days."

I can't see Brian Frons selling rights to any of ABC's soaps at a reasonable price. He'd never let them go to a competing broadcast net, despite his protestations to the contrary.

• Members

Why is it so hard for some to just see things as they way they are, Disney wants out of the soap business they are not sacrificing OLTL for AMC they want all three off their soaps off the air. All this whining coming from someone in the soap press is ridiculous, your show is getting no media love so you are going to whine on your blog about how unfair it was/is being treated especially since it is number three in the ratings and what is that ratings number by the way not much which is why all soaps are in trouble.

As far as storytelling a matter of opinion and being better than AMC means nothing when you have other media outlets to compete with which are telling better, more realistic and more relevant stories.

• Members

Considering that that idiot is blaming viewers and the media, I'd say that it's a good guess that it's Goutman. Of course, people should continue to watch shows, even if the producer doesn't feel like releasing a quality product. What a moron.

• Members

Agreed. I HATE it when people say that so and so is ghost writing--but we've heard about rewrites being rushed for stuff to air in May, Broderick has been at the writing staff in some capacity all year, etc. I believe by writer's guild standards they can't change the credits until K&S's stuff has fully run its course, but (I'm gonna get in trouble for saying this I know), this time I will do just what I hate others doing and say that I think we're starting to, and will more and more, see her work or at least tweaks on the show. I don't think it's completely my imagination that things are starting to feel different.

• Members

This I do, for good and bad, agree with. If LB was in charge of Feb sweeps when the show, which I admit I thought was getting more and more solid suddenly lost all momentum and was at a close stand still, then we're in trouble. :P

I admit I am in the minority in that I have at many times been a big Greenlee fan--not with Ryan, but even I think it makes more point at this time to just end them together--there's not enough time to paird them with other people anyway, and it just makes sense. I would like to think they won't get much focus at all, but...

• Members

LOL Well said. What a cop out of an interview. It's worrisome that they had to go in as anonymous and still got so defensive abotu claiming they did everything right, it was everyone else who was wrong... Who are they hiding from?

Like others the soap magazine criticism thing really bugs me. If he had said soap FORUMS then I could see his point, but as Carl said over the past 20 years the actual soap press has gotten more and more brown nosed--you very rarely see true opinion and criticism pieces in ANY of the major magazines the way you used to.

• Webmaster

In addition to this, I had a fascinating interview with former DAYS headwriter Sheri Anderson about her experience at GH back in February. Green carpet vs Orange carpet. Depending on who you were, you couldn't go from one to the other. Just amazing stuff.

Archived