AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually--and yes I admit I was sick of Zendall the last few years--but don't want all these couples to have happy endings. It's much more powerful to me if Kendall manages from now to then to have fully dealt with Zack's death and not then have a deux ex machina last minute save. Agnes herself has said that life goes on, people deal with happiness, tragedy... I do think that fans wanting their couples to come back even if it means endless return from the dead stories (and soap execs thinkign this is a sure way to lure back viewers) has harmed the integrity of soaps more and more. And I don't want Dixie to return either. Sentimental ghost or dreams scenes with these characters I'd be more than cool with. But if in the final month a bunch of characters return from the dead, I think it's a waste of time.

• Members

That's just silly talk. I admit I rarely root behind couples and don't fully understand how supercouples fan brigades have co opted soaps more and more since the 80s if not before. I think fans deserve respect and good story--but they don't deserve just cuz they've watched to have dead characters retiurn just so they can mentally imagine their fave couple living happily ever after. If that's the appeal of these shows--to have that wish fullfillment, than, wow... Watcha romantic comedy or somethign with a definite ending instead.

I'll be disappointed if every story is wrapped up nicely by the ending--of course I want some closure, but.

And the logic to break up Jesse and Angie is not REMOTELY the same--even if he did (lol) come back from the dead. But with 5 monhts to go they are still a couple--I'll be kinda bored if the last months of AMC are all about hwo to bring Zack in some even slightly plausible waqy back from the dead just so Zewndall fans don't go bombing studios.

• Members

I guess FMB's experience with TV Guide (quoting for truth - a little too truthful apparently) still hangs over people, but it was annoying that they were anonymous yet still had time to take potshots at McTavish. If this is Goutman, then he employed two headwriters I consider to be worse than McTavish. It's easy to pan somebody who is no longer in the industry.

If the soap magazines had been more honest and not couched criticism in "opinion" propaganda from Hinsey (has she said that if Thorsten, Alexa Havins, and Justin Bruening were still at AMC, it wouldn't have been canceled?), then the soaps may have had more of a run. They would have had to move with the times, instead of pandering to bigots who do not care about soaps.

I want to make that "they wanted movie stars" line into a bumper sticker or something. There are no movie stars. Unless fans were demanding some Legion of Super Heroes style revival where various execs stand in front of Monroe's coffin holding lightning rods, then spare me.

• Members

But in the Jameyverse, OLTL is so brazen!, topical!, campy!, and soapy! (as opposed to white, misogynistic, anachronistic and baby-obsessed) that the whole entertainment industry would turn itself inside out to save it.

You think that there's evidence to the contrary? Perhaps something that shows OLTL spits on history: (Dani the Miracle Child) Couldn't care less about diversity: (Kish, Layla, Rachel, the Evans, the Gannons) or hates women: Jess and Nat not knowing who fathered their babies; Kelly, Marty and Nat fighting over John; Todd...existing.; everything about Stacy; Ford and Tess)

Oh yeah, OLTL is the bestest soap on the air and it's all AMC's fault that it got canceled.

• Members

Love it. WHat a condescending and whiny blog! Were most of his like that? Will he continue to post these into the next year?

As a fan of both shows I do think it's totally a matter of opinion and even I would never have the audacity to state opnions like that as fact. I actually think that despite so much true awfulnes, AMC has been the more consistently strong soap compared to OLTL the past five years. Yeah I'm sure many would disagree, but some others would agree--but that's opinion. I could go through OLTL's awful stoylines over that time point by point the way he did with AMC's--it would be simply exactly as easy. Both shows were in trouble and were messes. Nothing in his blog post IMHO clearly makes his opinion that OLTL was amazing and AMC utterly unwatchable for the past 5 years into fact as opposed to merely opinion. It's all spin--Hell I prob could pick out stories and make the case for Passions being better soap its last five years than either AMC or OLTL if I worked as hard to spin the positives and negatives of each show.

• Members

That's just it--shouldn't it be time fans stop dancing on the graves of the soap they liked less? What does it serve now? (What did it ever serve?)

He brags that OLTL made a profit--well apparently so did AMC (despite what his own blog repeatedly told us) albeit not as much--this was about wanting MUCH more money. And for a blogger who would make podcasts giggling about AMC being awful and deserving to die, the sudden claims of being so depressed about AMC reek of insincerity.

Yes and look what show is in your SIG and is your fave? Which is great--it's opinion--they make some good poits I suppose but equal points could easily be made in favour of the other show.

• Members

Exactly, I see him holding onto these as long as possible. And this is still all just hearsay--I've also read speculation that NBC wants AMC. I don't buy either story (although OLTL would be a better fit). As they say this is speculation--there's been so much unfounded speculation that you could almost make up any [!@#$%^&*] and just say before it "there's been speculation"...

• Members

I do think good criticism cna do a lot to help improve the thing it's criticism (even if it's rare) so absolutely agree with you. I'm not even sure the soap press circulation (as opposed to online soap press) has been high enough the past few years to really make a difference for these shows one way or another.

And for all the bad things McTavish has done--to single her out by name in that article I think is just an easy scapegoat. It's not scret how many fans feel about her, or that you can mention her less successful runs and people will immediately knwo what you're talking about. You coul really do that with nearly anyoen working right now... (Of course I do agree with the sentiment that soaps were recycling too many fo the same people--but this has been a fact since the 60s, with a few famous exceptions that prove the rule--Hell, that was for a long time the way P&G worked--cycling their show writers every few years from show to show. I do think it was somethign that needed to be changed, but I don't think it really explains the shift in quality over the past 30 years).

You calling me flaming? :P

It's a reference to this mysterious ex soap producer's interview on the death of the genre. Many assume that it's Goutman.

Archived