AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"When One Life started pulling ahead of All My Children, ABC had a little bit of a conundrum. How could they now seriously cancel One Life, which they were planning to do all along at some point, and spare All My Children? They felt the backlash would have been so monumental that it would have been a PR disaster. So they did something that they felt that would get some serious backlash, but one that was easier to explain. Cancel them both and place two other shows quickly in those slots and say that this new direction adheres to the current daytime audience that prefers shows with some take away value. "

That still sounds like fan justification to me. Would ABC seriously have had a LARGER backlash if they had only canceled OLTL and not AMC? I doubt it (especially since a lot of the media focus have been more about AMC being canceled anyway). Does ABC even really care about a backlash? :blink:

• Members

I think that probably is true. But I don't think the reason to cancel both and not just OLTL was due to if they canceled only OLTL the backlash would be too "monumental". Yes, some fans would get mad at ABC for prefering a show with lower demos--the general media and even a lot of fans wouldn't I don't think.

• Members

Had it been just OLTL? The mainstream media would have given it no more than a day of attention. The "big" soap media would basically respond the same as they have, but maybe not as much. Jamey and Nelson would be working it like Beecher and Keller from Oz after ABC arrests them for terrorism.

• Members

That interview was obviously with Goutman.

Re: Daytime Confidential While I agree with some of Gidden's diatribe, WHO CARES anymore..

OLTL was always going to be canceled first. Frons verified this. What does it matter now?

This OLTL vs AMC stuff has gotten tedious. He needs to really have some more balance in his writing, whether he is a OLTL fan or not.

• Members

Ricky Paull Goldin

Making plans for an AMC goodbye party second week of Sept on the EAST COAST.....what would u like it to be? Need ur input ASAP????? Will let u know where & when. On Twitter? come over & join in.... u can find me @rickygoldin

• Members

I think OLTL overall has more life, energy, and vitality than AMC. I think that's kind of apparent. If that makes it a better show, then so be it. I don't find one show's storylines any better than the other's. A lot of it is pretty soulless, heartless, agenda-driven crap. I actually find the show's tackling mental health purely for laughs incredibly insulting and offensive. Yes, there was always a huge camp factor to the Niki Smith stuff, but they always seemed to write it seriously and usually maintained the integrity of Agnes's original vision for the issue...yes, even during the Rauch years. It was never played solely for laughs or to titillate. This whole Tess-Jess stuff, and now the Viki-Niki stuff again, is played just for comedy and titillation. I find it unwatchable. It's just way too much. I was watching the show today, and I turned it off after the first ten minutes. It takes a lot to offend me, but OLTL does when it comes to this. Maybe that's RC's goal, to shock and offend, "just as long as they watch," but it just doesn't work for the mental health stuff.

Archived