OLTL: Discussion for the week of February 7

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I could hardly wait for them to replace it at the time, but I look back on the satin sheets opening fondly (I take credit for dubbing "Satin Sheets" and "Falling Pictures" on message boards almost 15 years ago :P ). I do think it would have been a better Loving opening, but I still love it for that period on OLTL, I think it fit perfectly with LG's aesthetic.

• Members

Nah, that was definitely a stripped down version of the current ('04) theme. You could hear some of the riffs in the background. Either way, it sounded like sh!t and didn't fit that opening in any way, at all. I don't know why ABC wastes time/money modifying things like that when the episode itself is full of characters who look 15 years younger, not to mention previous actors playing roles, actors who are dead, MTV's House of Style fashions, etc. We know it's a rerun!

I'm sure it was a rights issue. I believe Lee Holdridge composed it, and I'm sure he keeps tabs on his stuff.

I noticed the "hum" too, and I LOVE that. That's one of those things that you can only get on videotaped shows it seems. Watch the tensest moments from All in the Family, Good Times, etc, and it's there. It's almost like a part of the underscore.

• Members

Let's see if I can dig this up from the old memory bank!

After imprisoning Dorian for weeks, Jean agreed to set her free on a major condition: she was to marry David Vickers, thus freeing Tina from David and Joey from Dorian. Jean acknowledged that Viki cared about both Tina and Joey and this was the only way to get David and Dorian out of their lives. Dorian agreed to do Jean's bidding on the condition that Irene's diary was returned to her. At the time, it was in the police evidence room.

David married Dorian under much duress. Jean turned into Tori, and Dorian pressed her for the return of the diary. The diary incriminated David, exposing him as a fraud, which in turn would result in the overturning of Dorian's release from death row for Victor's murder. After much prodding, Tori got the diary out of the police evidence room and handed it over to Dorian. She locked it up in her safe. David was rooting around Dorian's house and found the diary. He used it to blackmail her into providing him with a very handsome allowance and credit limit on his newly obtained gold card!

Dorian was furious and did everything she could to get the better of David, but as long as he had the diary, she was doomed. She confided in Blair; Blair and Dorian cooked up the scheme where they wore the identical dresses - Blair was to begin a seduction of David in a motel room, blindfold him, and leave. Dorian was to take over and finish the job if necessary!

Meanwhile, Blair enlisted Todd's help to get the diary where David stashed it while David romped with Blair and Dorian. Todd was successful and handed the diary over to Blair, who handed it over to Dorian. Viki was after the diary because she knew that it would expose David as a fraud, and that would result in getting Dorian back on death row.

Phew! :lol:

• Members

This is the only clip of today's repeat with the modified old opening that I could find on Youtube -- but it is very low quality. The opening starts at the 2:25 mark.

While I'm somewhat certain that they didn't air the original 1992-95 theme music with the opening because of copyright issues, I am surprised that they didn't just use a title card, or the current theme. Instead they went with a watered down version of the current theme, which is a variation of the 1995-2004 theme music.

• Members

Well, we were just talking about why they may have decided not to use the theme music that came after it....but as for the images and logos, I don't know.

I thought it also neat that they kept the original old title card mid-show bumper (although they did change that music as well), and the original closing credits slide from when it originally aired. I can still remember OLTL using simply an end card for some episodes, all the way up until 2004.

Archived