OLTL: Discussion for the week of January 3

• Members

The reason for her 2 Emmys aren't showing up in her recent work. It is OTT and lame. I thought MF was very effective as a psycho (but that could also be because she was acting opposite KA, and who wouldn't look great next to her). But Marty isn't coming across as someone losing it, she is coming across as a vindicitive, hateful shrew who just wants Natalie to be miserable.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I even prefer Crystal Hunt to Meghann Fahy. Hannah was supposed to be campy love to hate, but Meghann Fahy played her as a sociopath. Which might have been more appropriate, but it clearly wasn't what the writers had in mind. RC kept saying he wanted to redeem Hannah and that he saw MF/Hannah as long term. That, and the "sympathetic backstory" about how Hannah's doing this because she thinks that Starr had everything while poor little Hannah was neglected by her parents. Hannah was supposed to be mentally ill, but she just came off as a hateful, sadistic, one note bitch. I think MF can play evil, but I don't think she can play anything else. I'm actually wondering if that's why the writers decided to have her take Starr and her innocent little daughter hostage.

Susan Haskell is infinitely better than Meghann Fahy. I do think MF's singing is good, but that's it. Susan Haskell is able to sell this in a way that I find entertaining. She also is capable of looking remorseful.

I never saw any "sadness" in MF's acting. All she did was smirk and laugh. She also cartoonishly narrowed her eyes. MF was a big part of why I found Hannah so cartoonish, though the writing certainly didn't help. It wouldn't be such a big deal if she was supposed to be a cartoon, but the writers wanted us to feel sorry for her. They also wanted us to find her entertaining while she holds a gun on an innocent little baby and plans to kill her mother right in front of her.

• Members

I disagree, and think the exact opposite. Hannah came off as extremely hateful, sadistic, and one note. She was supposed to be mentally ill, but that's not how MF played Hannah at all. But the writing didn't do her any favors either. It happened right to the end, when Hannah came across as a vapid valley girl as she tried to con everyone in the police station, and was carried off screaming "This is so ridiculous!". I think Hannah's absolute worst qualities as a character brought out MF's worst qualities as an actress.

Every time I watch Marty, I see someone whose mentally ill and slowly becoming even more unglued. She comes across as more desperate than hateful. I also find Susan Haskell's over the top work to be very entertaining. She's over the top in a good way, in my opinion.

• Members

I actually think she is supposed to come across as crazy so like Jess she will get her mental health pass and will have no consequences for her actions and everyone will be tripping over themselves to praise and help Marty. I also think like Jess it hurts Marty's character that no one can be mad at her, it is good for characters to have enemies, people not happy with them, etc

• Members

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I've said from the start that Marty is not crazy. This is classic vindictive Marty.We'll just have to see how it plays out, but on the note, I think Haskell is doing a great job. I'll take her over some of her current castmates any day.

• Members

see I thought she was just going to be vindictive and once her time was up in this story, move on to another and just be a bad girl but I have heard things that are happening and Marty is going to do things and be deemed crazy and get the free mental health pass and then I guess go back to boring Marty

• Members

The burying Starr and James alive scenes were written OTT but even as I hated Hannah I saw a broken girl in MF's tear as she watched Starr say goodbye to Hope. MF in that one moment made me feel her tragic sadness. So far SH hasn't made me feel that underlying sadness.

Anyway, I do agree SH excels at playing a rape victim which explains her two emmys for same story.

• Members

The craziest I ever remember seeing Marty was in Cassie's bridal chamber shortly before Andrew and Cassie's wedding. That bitch was nuts. She scared the hell out of me. This is not that intense but it's still a lot of fun.

Marty is best when she has a bite, crazy or not. That's why I enjoyed the somewhat slight story in 2009 where she was amnesiac, shacking up with Wes in a leather jacket, riding around on bikes and "out of control." She is a woman of means who was left a great deal of money and grew up neglected and seething with rage; when her life collapses, she too should relapse. She should channel that money and rage at the man who raped her twice. She has still been a great character since the gang rape, but not nearly as much of a badass. It's when she's around Todd and his ridiculous, sick behavior since the re-rape that her fire really comes out.

• Members

Omg WTH was that David stuff all about? Horrendous! That was some of the worst acting I've ever seen. And was the stuff with Rex supposed to be funny? It really wasn't sad.gif wow it was hard watching OLTL today with all of that nonsense.

Loved the Nora/Mattew scenes

LOL at Marty "Your actions have consequences deal with them" I loved the way she said that and the way she was positioning her head laugh.gif

• Members

The David stuff is garbage. His returns are always so hit or (mostly) miss, imo. I didn't even crack a smile at the hemorroid commercial the first time. I did enjoy his stuff with Destiny and I hope they get a chance to debrief about their latest woes.

I enjoy watching Viki and Dorian but the inevitable, "Ha, to think that we could be friends! NEVER!" scene is definitely going to be more of a stretch this time. Is Dorian going to have to run over another one of Viki's kids or something?

I continue to love Marty and I agree that she's more on the side of fiercely driven by rage than cuckoo bananas. I'm pissed that I turned away for a second and missed the moment of impact when her head hit that marble. Natalie looked so ridiculous getting all hysterical in that tight dress with her stomach out to *here*. :lol: Are there any spoilers about the sexes and birth dates of these babies? I keep imagining that they're going to deliver on the same day and both be surprised with twins like in the movie Big Business. :P

• Members

The comedy in today's episode was just *AWFUL* and I'm surprised there aren't more complaints about it frankly. The David stuff? (seriously why didn't they just imprison him in Mendorra--that would make it at least a bit more silly/believable than actually claiming that's Morocco) The constant Haveaseat stuff (which was kinda slightly maybe [?] funny once way back I admit but, no). Just nearly the whole show actually--I didn't mind Matthew and Nora's stuff, and I did like seeing Clint finally feel kinda bad, but otherwise... Even for OLTL this felt like over the top, and worse NOT FUNNY, camp and just left me completely bewildered about what they were trying to do. I hope this isn't some new increased direction for the year.

(Oh yeah and the pregnant fight... Meh it was borderline Passions.)

That's the problem...

Archived