OLTL: Discussion for the week of January 3

• Members

Carl, let me clarify: Brody has no familial connections on the show - the same amount John has. However John is played by Easton and that's the only reason it isn't being held against him. I could very well be wrong, but I don't think they're invested in Lawson or Brody/Jessica as they once were. With Cutter on board, there's really no use for Brody as I doubt they're going to continue to isolate Cutter in the Aubrey/Joey/Kelly storyline.

It seems Jolie is a Frons mandate as that pairing has continued no matter the head writer. I have never understood the appeal of that couple. It's a shame because Lawson definitely has chemistry with Archer and they could have used the ONS to jump start a new direction for both characters.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Jessica's problem is Jessica. She is a lunchbox. The writers' fault. Her other problem? The writers' have no patience when it comes to her men, they never seem to be willing to leave a good enough thing alone when it's clear that Jessica is the type of woman (like her mother) who could easily be married to the right guy for a very long time. But death and mental illness and lies always get in the way. Sure, that's what makes this a soap opera, but I think Jessica could have functioned well as a much more traditional heroine. I'm sure the Tess/Bess stuff was fun for BW to play, but it did nothing for me, it didn't make Jessica any more interesting in my book, just more annoying.

• Members

I also don't think Bree has ever been very good at playing the basic Jessica. She seems very plastic and can't bring the earnestness which Erin Torpey brought, or which Erika Slezak has brought to Viki over the years. So they constantly throw gimmicks at Jessica because that way she won't be "boring."

• Members

I agree that in her early days especially she came across as the polished up *perfect* little version of Jessica, unhelped by her Canadian accent and all that. The heart and soul that comes with having played the part from youth to early twenties was certainly in ET's favor, she had the vibe of a down to earth middle class girl who just happened to be stinking rich. BW's vibe was that of a privileged girl who went riding and might say things like, "So where are you summering this year?" The Tess stuff gritted her up a bit I sppose, but what's always irked me most is that all of her woes usually translate to a BUNCH of crying and whimpering. She's just now starting to get that laid back strength that Viki has, but who knows what things are going to look like once these babies pop out...

• Members

Whenever I think of Bree as Jessica I think of that awful first scene she had kicking the soda machine. It was so unnatural and put-on -- basically how she's been as Jessica for me most of the time. I don't think the writing has helped her, it's been writing few actors could ever cope with, but I think her performances helped to further the impression that Jessica is dull and the only way to write for her is to have her go crazy or to have bad things happen to her. She's just a dead spot. She is what Viki would have been if the show had only cared about Niki Smith.

The show doesn't like to write for heroines now anyway, so I don't see any real path forward for her. I would just write her out, and pass her simpering my-man-is-everything crown onto the younger women who haven't had any big mental breakdowns yet, like Starr and Danielle.

• Members

She's never played an adult, mature Jessica with the conviction of Erin Torpey - ironically, the actress she replaced who BW was supposed to be 'more mature' than. I agree that under Erin and at times Bree, Jessica was designed to be Viki's successor, a traditional soap heroine, but Bree can't hack it. She can't make conventional storylines work, so the writers (and Frons) struggle to "write to her strengths" by writing story after story for "wild and crazy Bree" instead of writing for Jessica.

Jessica should be married to either Brody or Nash (I prefer Brody) and going forward with solid storylines that establish her as an adult woman - i.e. Kendall Hart, or Robin Scorpio, or Heather Tom's Victoria Newman - while still being exciting. If Erin hadn't left I think that would've been done long ago.

• Members

ITA with that second paragraph there Vee. I never cared for nNsh but I really liked sensible good guy Brody, hell, I still like him even if he got drunk and [!@#$%^&*] his gf's sister (Jessica WAS insane in the membrane and lusting after Cris, we can cut Brody a *little* slack).

• Members

If Erin hadn't left there wouldn't have been a Tess/Bess or MESSICA mix. I agree with your sentiments. Jessica rather bores me, and she should be Viki's successor on the show. But for whatever reasons, the show likes to cripple the character with DID. I am expecting a full blown nervous breakdown when the truth comes out about Natalie and Brody. Oh, what fun that will be. Again.

• Members

Bree's Jessica definitely is a hot mess. Doesn't even feel like Viki's daughter, even with the alters. I don't so much blame Bree, but the poor, lazy writing although she *is* a mediocre actress. Eric Torpey was a very special actress with such heart. I wish we could get her back even temporary for Bree's maternity leave or something. I'd take her back on any soap.

• Members

Cristian and Blair are hot together! But I hate how the show is totally ruining Layla and making her look so bad off-screen. The one sided conversations between her and Cristian are just bad!

I love Kelly and Joey together.

Aubrey and that guy are obviously trying to get money. I wonder how Clint is involved in this (if at all. I still wonder if him & Aubrey know each other after that exchange they had). I also still have a suspicion that Echo is involved with Aubrey somehow (maybe her mom).

Hated Rex dancing, and him & Gigi are annoying and gross together.

lol @ Marty in the next episode preview, she is so crazy and I love it.

• Members

Surpisingly, I do enjoy her interactions with Natalie, and I say "surprisingly" because it *is* a bit of a tacked on relationship when you think about it. Well, I guess no more than the kids' relationship with Megan was. I don't think it's even just the looks, but Megan did "feel" more like Viki's daughter than Natalie. Strengthening ( :rolleyes: ) Jessica's bond to Viki with DID is yet another example of the show's penchant for cheap fanfic. See, they always take it just a *little* too far. Niki taking Jessica out with her (while perhaps unchacteristic for '80s Niki?) was imo a somewhat fascinating bit of retcon, like Victor abusing Viki. But to give the girl full blown DID with a plate of iddie-kay orn-pay (I'm afraid to even type that out) on the side, it's like, GEESH.

• Members

I feel like Clint and Aubrey have had a one night stand (former call girl?) back in his London days or something, I dunno, it's icky whatever it is. That's why he wants her away from Joey. She's got something over him, that's for sure.

And who knows AMD@GH, maybe she is Echo's other kid and she somehow knows that her brother is Clint's kid. Hmmm...

Archived