OLTL: Discussion for the week of January 3

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe in Viki's bonds with all her children. They just aren't utilized enough of late. Natalie has become the successor to Viki that BW's Jessica is incapable of being, because Natalie still has a core of strength even when the show is hurtling her towards ruin. I wish this could be fixed so that Jessica fits one role and Natalie another, but these days I would just rather see Jessica take about five years off in St. Anne's. Let her marry Brody then go mad, leaving Brody the stricken "widower" with kids. He is devoted to her children and that family and with that linkage he is more than viable for future stories on his own, and is a hero in the mold of Holden or Jack Snyder on ATWT, or Bo Brady. Brian Frons's ABC doesn't like to reward those kinds of characters now, but it could.

I know how I'd undo Jessica's molestation as well, though I once thought it could not be done. But oh, well.

• Members

On OLTL it's very obvious which couples TPTB are in invested and which they are not. Right now Jess and Brody remind me of Rex and Gigi. TPTB have no real investment left in writing either couple so they are just marking time while they prep Jess and Rex to move onto new partners.

• Members

Throughout ET's tenure as Jessica, I felt ES/ET really sold the bond between mom and daughter. But I always felt Joey was written as her favorite child (next to Todd).

As for rest of show:

Cutter needs to take the irritating blond nitwits, Aubrey and Kelly, back to Europe permanently.

Rex and Gigi are useless and the utter lack of investment in their last reunion makes it obvious RC is done with them.

DF isn't a great actor but his Cristian is the only man who has ever made Blair likable.

RC needs to blow this ONS secret pronto. I'm bored with it all.

• Members

The anvils been loud Rex is heading for Kelly in some triangle with Joey.

I suspect Cutter is for Jessica.

TPTB appear very invested in John and Natalie. I believe SH's Marty was dragged into the story to stall the secret reveal until Bree was back from maternity leave. I expect Marty to exit to St. Ann just as Jessica learns the truth and the story shifts back to Natalie vs Jessica.

• Members

I'll never forget a scene when Jessica was going through her teen rebellion period (just pre-Kelly's arrival, and yes I will jump at this opportunity to say that she was nothing like the annoying twit of the unfortunate Regressica s/l). At any rate, Viki walked into her room without knocking, just as she'd always done to see her little girl, and Jessica went off on her. Erika Slezak broke my heart with the look on her face, she was apologetic, frightened, and deeply hurt all at the same time. :( This was also coming off of the Sloan years where the kids had built up some disdain for their mom.

• Members

Bree Williamson has played Jessica for 8 years now and I don't get where a lot of the put downs about her acting are coming from. I think she plays the part fine and she has every capability of being Viki's replacement or whatever it's being call. She's playing what's being written. It's up to the writing team to get it together.

• Members

I think Erin and Erika were great together - for me after JFP came in, both characters became more defined by the men in their lives and a strong bond was much less important. This recovered somewhat after JFP left but by then Jessica was being phased out.

• Members

The character of Jessica has been a mess since Bree took over. The only stories they tend to give her involve her being a victim or being mentally fragile. I think Bree is fine as Jessica but her entire run has been defined as being a very weak mess of a woman

Archived