OLTL: Discussion for the week of January 3

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with that, I guess I meant in their current couples which the show is going to pimp forever and ever even though Brody and Jessica and John and Natalie are basically destroyed for me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, Josh Kelly did a good job as Cutter today. He seamlessly fit in with solid, realistic acting.

• Members

Natalie is a character who always gets away with crap. Her family will be mad at her for two seconds and all is forgiven. I see this current storyline being no different. I'll actually be surprised if the fallout was major and it actually lasted for more than two seconds. Her redemption will be when her little brat turns out to be John's. I do think Brody is expendable though and that all hinges on the chemistry between Cutter and Jessica.

• Members

I think the actor playing Cutter did great too! He's already fit right in without even having to try so hard. I still wonder if Cutter will be tied to someone already in Lanview. I think the rumor that Cutter might be Aubrey's brother has DEFINITELY been defeated! I wondered whether or not he was actually CJ Roberts but now I'm not so sure of that either. Could be he's just a lone character after all.

• Members

So far I think Cutter is still just kind of there, whereas I saw a lot of spark with Mark Lawson from the beginning, but forgettable tends to get more results on today's soaps.

They probably have been planning on phasing Brody out for a long time. He's not a rapist and he shows emotions, so that's two strikes right there. Cutter will fit in more easily with the sleazy-but-that-makes-him-a-sweetheart type of vibe they have with the Fords, Todd and Rex.

If he's tied to a veteran character he will be out within a year or so. My guess is that they want him to be a loner. That means you're more of a man, not a villain/wimp/loser like the Buchanans.

At the most I could see them tying him to the Fords.

• Members

Agreed. Brody is the weakest link and has no connections. I'm not even sure if he has a fanbase. I know Brody/Jessica have a few vocal fans but he became completely irrelevant the minute Natalie continued the lie without him. I think OLTL always wanted to get rid of Lawson especially when the rumors became rampant but they needed a probable exit. The Buke girls will always come out on top so I firmly believe this storyline will transition the exit of Lawson and also give them an out with SH, if need be. Jessica will need a cut, beefy shoulder to cry on when the reveal comes out.

• Members

I don't think Brody is the weakest link - he has as many connections on the show as John does, and Lawson is one of the few talented men left on the canvas - but in OLTL's mind he probably is. Frons' mind too. I think he would have been gone in late 2008 if they hadn't needed a love interest for Jessica. Since then Lawson has somehow managed to find chemistry with the dead fish Bree Williamson and also had chemistry with Melissa Archer, not to mention Tika Sumpter and even Farah Fath. But a decent guy who sees women as anything other than icky or as possible rape victims is anathema. Most threatening of all is that he had a certain mature sexuality -- something you will never see in Rex, today's Todd, or the Ken doll Fords.

Josh Kelly seems OK to me, but he will need a lot more than I've seen of him so far here or on the clips to work with Jessica. This character is played out and Bree is not charismatic or talented enough to overcome the victim routine. In terms of women a man is more likely to have chemistry with, I'd say Florencia, Melissa, KDP...that's about it.

• Members

I think both ML and JK are pretty good, especially ML. The problem is that a) ABC frowns upon writing for straight-up heroes despite Brody being an RC favorite and B) BW's Jessica cannot sustain a single pairing or consistent character capable of adult storylines. When they flop, as they always do, her leading man is the one blamed. In this case that man is Lawson and she will be moved on to someone seen as more 'edgy and exciting' in the hopes that this will make Jessica more edgy and exciting. But I've seen that before. It doesn't work because the character of Jessica no longer works.

I like Brody and Jessica together a lot, and would like them more if she was not simply a broken little girl with mental health problems most of the time. They are poorly written because the show has lost interest and is marking time. But it is not ML/Brody's fault, and that's what they don't understand at ABC and/or OLTL, anymore than ABC doesn't understand why Joey doesn't have to be boring.

Archived