OLTL: Discussion for the week of January 3

• Members

I wasn't a huge fan of MH as an actress, but I would never blame her for what happened to Hannah. I do agree that they seemed to be wanting to take her in a more sympathetic direction and that's what she was playing up (compare her performance to psycho Eli at the same time)--but that whol stuff with her going completely psycho, burryign people alive, etc, is totally one of my big probs with RC's writing right now. He seems to make everyone (and always at least one person on the canvas at a time) psycho when he doesn' quite know what to do with them. And not just a psycho, but a crazy, completely over the top one.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My question is do they even NEED to do this again? I know they probably will, but I think it's time to move on. I know Robin knows her character better than I ever will and she doesn't like the friendship thing, but really, what story in the last ten years has come out of their feud? The closest to a major story was the BE takeover, and ultimately that was all totally dropped after about 4 or 5 months, or less. I think there's much more to be mined with the two as quasi-friends and allies, with the awkwardness never dropped.

• Members

A lot of people love the stuff with David and since I like stuff a lot of people don't, I can't really complain. My biggest confusion with his mugging is that it undermines any seriousness the EvilClint stuff was supposed to have, if it was ever supposed to be taken seriously. The whole story is so confusing in tone, as Eddie, a very abusive, dangerous man, was basically presented as comedy. I think that the tonal problems at OLTL have gotten better than they were in 2009, when they decided to tank over a year of storyline for Buddhist jokes and Tuc Watkins yelling "PA!" a few times a year, but they still crop up.

• Members

I really like Tuc Watkins and I think some of the David stuff the past few years has been funny. But yesterday was just horrible. I wish they'd write him as someone who acts the buffoon just so everybody underestimates him, rather than as someone borderline brain damaged. He should only be serious with Dorian, which would lend a lot more weight to their romance (and keep Dorian from acting like a cartoon every time she has a scene with David -- Strasser and Watkins definitely have chemistry, but I think their recent romance has been very detrimental to her character). David Vickers wasn't like this in his first go-round on the show, was he?

• Members

David started out as a serious character, with some comedy elements, but not overwhelming the character.

He has steadily been ground down into this yukfest, because apparently Tuc and the show only see David as a comic relief character. I think this along with Tuc's constant leaving and returning has meant every relationship he ever had on the show has pretty much been made into nothing, and I see no reason why they keep bringing him back. He doesn't do anything for anyone's story -- even after all the story potential wasted in order to make him Bo's son, the most they could come up with was having him take Matthew to a hooker.

I wish they had the guts to just say, "Goodbye David," and that's it.

Archived