Jump to content

Y&R: Old Articles


DRW50

Recommended Posts

  • Members
3 hours ago, slick jones said:

I can't wait to hear what he watched during lockdown just as he starts to discuss his storylines.

Y&R fans usually turn up for livestreams, regardless of who does them. Locher needs this kind of livestream to juice up his click counts since his view counts over the last several months have been exceedingly low.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members

Probably the most I have read about this infamous behind the scenes moment outside of forums. Pretty detailed too. "learn your lines old man" LOL I kinda hope this is a real quote. Steam must have been shooting out of Eric's ears, haha. 

This article was from January 04, 1992 - not sure which issue of SOW it came from though

 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by will81
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
34 minutes ago, will81 said:

Probably the most I have read about this infamous behind the scenes moment outside of forums. Pretty detailed too. "learn your lines old man" LOL I kinda hope this is a real quote. Steam must have been shooting out of Eric's ears, haha. 

This article was from January 04, 1992 - not sure which issue of SOW it came from though

 

Please register in order to view this content

OMG! No wonder all the fights between Jack and Victor there 1992-93 felt so raw. When did Bell step in exactly to put the men in their places? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, soapfan770 said:

OMG! No wonder all the fights between Jack and Victor there 1992-93 felt so raw. When did Bell step in exactly to put the men in their places? 

I had heard Bell was pretty swift and threatened to sack them both if it happened again. Not sure where I heard that though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, will81 said:

I had heard Bell was pretty swift and threatened to sack them both if it happened again. Not sure where I heard that though

Yes I remember reading Bell allegedly said something that “he’d show them both who the real diva of the show was” or something  along those lines. I always felt like that’s why Jack & Victor ended up in completely separate orbits 1994-97. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 hours ago, soapfan770 said:

OMG! No wonder all the fights between Jack and Victor there 1992-93 felt so raw. 

Yeah, it looked like they were ready to kill each other. I'd say their beef went back to 1989, the tension between them was visible from the onset, and I felt it was there until maybe 2005 or so. EB didn't really delve into details of the beef in his book, but he seemed regretful of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
45 minutes ago, kalbir said:

Yeah, it looked like they were ready to kill each other. I'd say their beef went back to 1989, the tension between them was visible from the onset, and I felt it was there until maybe 2005 or so. EB didn't really delve into details of the beef in his book, but he seemed regretful of it.

Yes.

To both men's credits, they have owned up to it, talked openly about it and how unfortunate it was and they both accepted their part of responsibility.

That being said, maybe I am naive but it is for me to understand how anything like this can escalate to blows. I mean, short of someone sleeping with someone else's wife or something very personal like that, disliking a colleague should be something you grin and bear.
I wonder what the real spark for this was - can't just have been excess of testosterone and professional rivalry for it to escalate so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
5 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

Yes.

To both men's credits, they have owned up to it, talked openly about it and how unfortunate it was and they both accepted their part of responsibility.

That being said, maybe I am naive but it is for me to understand how anything like this can escalate to blows. I mean, short of someone sleeping with someone else's wife or something very personal like that, disliking a colleague should be something you grin and bear.
I wonder what the real spark for this was - can't just have been excess of testosterone and professional rivalry for it to escalate so much.

I think it is creative tension, mixed with arrogance and taking things way too seriously. I don't think Peter had much respect for Eric from the beginning, since he used cue cards apparently (something Peter derided in an interview that was posted here a while ago) and I think Peter took his acting seriously, maybe too seriously.

He may have been the first actor to stand up to Eric, I would be interested to know how it all went down, because I am sure it would have started almost as soon as Peter turned up.

 

 

Edited by will81
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I seem to recall Bergman’s Emmy wins also provided a deep source of contention between the two actors. I can’t imagine that sit too well with EB, who had been nominated a couple times in the 80’s to see someone on the show steal his thunder.

As for PB he did mention  the work culture at Y&R was so different for him than at AMC it took some time to adjust to it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

@soapfan770 I chalk up PB's 1991 and 1992 Emmy wins to weak competition in the Lead Actor category. I was not riveted by his Emmy winning episode that was rebroadcast during the classics and the clips shown during the Emmy broadcasts those years.

It was posted here before that EB would not submit his name for Emmy consideration. He also didn't mention much about the Emmys in his book and I don't recall EB commenting in the soap press about the years he lost (1987, 1990, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

@kalbirThanks and I agree, I thought Bergman was a bit over the top. Thanks for cleaning that up about EB and the Emmys sometimes it’s hard to separate fact from fiction on 30 year old scandals that's been speculated about since the days of Usenet lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Yes I think it was a clash of approach.

Perhaps Eric, coming from primetime and movies  did feel as though he had more experience and should be accorded respect for that, and Peter was more about the here and now. 

Kinda like Eric - 'You know when I did a Barnaby Jones etc' ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy