Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Thanks Broderick. Interesting analysis.

Random Y&R question.

Can anyone tell me when the Abbott cabin came into play?

When it was introduced was it purchased as a getaway or just assumed to  belong to the family all along?

How far away was it from GC and was a locale ever specified eg a few miles from Hicksville...

From what I've seen it looked pretty basic. Wouldn't a wealthy family that regularly uses a private jet have something a little more spacious and luxurious?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Are you talking about Ashley's cabin? Victor bought that for her. The pair were walking in the woods on a date and came upon it, it was run down. Ashley mentioned liking it and within a week Victor had had it restored and bought for her. I think this was late 1985. 

Or is there another cabin I don't know about?

• Members

I'm talking about the cabin mentioned here from 2016

Phyllis agreed to go to the Abbott cabin with Jack to celebrate his birthday, but she intentionally drank too much Champagne to avoid having sex with him. Phyllis remained at the cabin alone, and Billy joined her to have a passionate encounter.

• Members

TikTok is really making me smile with all of these old clips.  Berternie20 posted this scene from two of the greatest soap opera thespians of our times 

Please register in order to view this content

I especially admire the way she says "nekkid" and Carl's awful wig.

Please register in order to view this content

Jill had to bathe rather than shower due to her shooting, and now they're going to have to change the law... (that line makes so little sense that I wonder if it was an improvisation on the part of Ms Dickson)

Also, I had no idea that someone else played David Kimbell before Michael Corbett (poor Bruce Penhall from CHIPs didn't get the job despite his panting over Mrs Abbott)

Edited by j swift

• Members

Watching those early scenes of Jerry Douglas (RIP) and Terry Lester (RIP) makes me miss TL's Jack so much more. Jack was such a layered character when TL was in the role, playboy on the surface but deep down a lost little boy with abandonment issues from his mother leaving the family that was always looking for his father's love and approval but would mess up while doing so and as such could not live up to his father's legacy. 

Even though the Abbotts were almost all recasts by the end of their first decade, Bill Bell didn't phase them out like he did with the original families. Maybe it's me but I felt Bill Bell was losing interest in the Abbotts during the 1994-1997 off-track era.

• Members

I don't know that he lost interest, but I do think things went off track. Looking back over Brenda Epperson's early run, Bell kept her on the back burner for well over a year before she got any substantial story. I think he was finally getting into a groove with her around 1990 and her stories were great until Blade. Blade was a bad move. I firmly believe Bell was interested in having Tylo on the show but had no idea how to write for him. The character just never worked and pairing him with Ashley only brought her down. Brenda worked it as best as she could, but the whole thing just fell flat to me. The lack of real chemistry and a lousy story just didn't help. Then Brenda left and Bell was left to deal with a miscast Shari. Maybe he did lose interest in her at that point, it really didn't matter much to me, as I never recognised her as Ashley. She might as well have been an Abbott cousin who came to stay. 

As for Jack, well I agree with the idea that Bell was trying to make Jack into Cliff Warner, with Peter fighting against it (sorry not sure who mentioned this previously) this can't have helped things. Also I have talked about my issues with Jack/Luan, that story fell flat too and Jack felt like a different character. Jack needs trouble in his life and a woman who will bring that or needs to be causing trouble for the woman in his life. He doesn't work as a full on romantic lead without at least some drama, even with Peter in the role. Plus Luan should have been paired with John and Jack and Keemo should have been left to fight over Mari-Jo but I have gone through that many times in this thread. 

Meanwhile John and Jill spent most of the 94-97 period bickering over their divorce and custody issues which really drained both characters of any life. John being bitter all the time didn't work, and Jill without passion in her life and being grumpy all the time was a real downer. 

In summary, I think Bell had interest in the Abbotts, but all the moves he made during that time basically drained the life out that family and honestly for the first time I felt like Bell had lost sight of who this family was. All of them felt off in terms of characterisation during this period of time. Maybe Bell was beginning to struggle health wise, I'm sure it didn't help things.