• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thank you all for sharing!!!!

I didn’t realize Victor and Cassandra were still close towards her exit. I almost wish she had been paired and married Victor because the her exit story with her marriage to Brad just seemed really insane and making Paul and Brad bitter rivals over Cassandra and then Lauren was a bit much, even though I enjoyed it. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

From what I've read online, Y&R began in Australia in 1974 and in New Zealand in 1977 and the episodes started from the beginning in both countries. Did the Australian broadcasts have breaks and that's how they ended up more than one year behind? 

Blog post about Y&R's broadcast history in Canada: MarkH's Soap Musings: Canada: Why does Y&R have a late timeslot and day-ahead episode? (markhsoap.blogspot.com)

• Members

Aww I forgot all about MarkH heh. Y&R frequently made the cover of TV Guide in Canada a lot.

Circa 1981 when Y&R moved moved back into the 12:30 ET spot CBS also began running an actual 12:00 ET/11:00 CT feed for Y&R so the Central Time zone stations could air local news at noon, so Central Time(and any Mountain Time Zone stations that Y&R at 10:00 there’s a few who did) start Y&R a full 30 mins ahead before the east coast. I don’t think any other network did that with any other soap, not even ABC with AMC until CBS began morning feeds for GL.

• Members

Oh that's interesting. Y&R did often take breaks during the summer for Cricket coverage on Nine but that wouldn't account for the discrepancy as Days would have had the same breaks and yet didn't fall that much further behind (Days started in Australia in 1968 and by the mid 90s was still roughly about three years behind).

• Members

Y&R started in April 1974, but when Days began airing in prime time, the channel began airing two episodes of Y&R a day for a short period until Days returned to daytime. In 1980 Cricket began pre-empting the show each year for a couple weeks but the channel would also have a summer break as well that could last another two or three weeks.

Each year we got further behind until by 2000 we were four years behind and they did the leap forward.

Days was far more popular in the 70's and went into primetime, I havn't checked it out, but possibly channel nine played a bit of catch up and then fell behind again. Y&R also went an hour around 1980 in Australia, long before it would have actually been an hour show. So again I think the channel did some catch ups previously with both shows. 

WHAT!!!!! I was literally looking at the 1991 episode the other day and wishing we had anything from January. The only month that was missing completely. Woohoo for those new 1991 eps they have added.

Edited by will81