Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Phillip definitely "came back from the Dead" in the usual definition.
But I am pretty sure nobody in the audience believed Adam was really dead: he was declared dead on the show in a way that was transparent he'd back.
That's the distinction I personally draw between a character being presumed dead on the show (whether we are explicitly told they are alive like whenever Victor "dies" or the current Sonny story on GH, or whether it is left so open-ended that it is pretty obvious they are not like with Adam) versus a character being dead - body shown and show leaving no ambiguity in the storytelling and then later returning them in an extremely far-fetched scenario when they or the leaving performer change their mind. The latter is the trope people like to mock.

I don't recall Y&R ever doing that whereas most other soaps have plenty of cases of people we SAW THE DEAD BODY OF who then turned out alive later.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

As someone else mentioned upthread, Phillip Chancellor (Thom Bierdz) was definitely supposed to be dead in a car crash (similar to his father before him) but was brought back with that ridiculous storyline, involving Cane years ago. FWIW, I highly doubt Bill Bell Sr. would have brought the character back had he still been around to write the show. I believe Phillip was likely supposed to stay dead, although one can never say never--plenty of headwriters end up breaking their own rules.

• Members

I believe Malcolm was actually Y&R’s first actual real back from the dead story back in 2004. I mean Y&R had a history of characters pretending to be dead ie Katherine, Paul, Sheila, Victor but we the audience knew they were alive. However Malcolm was presumed dead for two years before his 2004 return. It should be noted that in 2004 Y&R rode the same wave of back from the dead stories plaguing daytime at the time (hello Days and ATWT!).

Since then we’ve had Phillip, Skye, Adam, JT, and Chloe all fake their demises only to pop up alive again. However of the above only Phillip and Skye were the ones we figured would stay dead forever. Adam’s 2010 and 2014 deaths we knew he was still alive, and his 2016 death was also left very ambiguous no matter how much SSM tried to make it seem permanent. 

And if Keemo ever came back he’d be played by someone like Matt Cedeño or of all things Billy Miller lol. 

On a side note thanks for sharing. It’s weird Paul & Christine are even the highlight of the promo but I suppose they were in a vacuum between April’s departure and Danny’s return. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Oddly it may have been one of her last Abbott related stories too. I suppose it made some since at the time it hadn’t been that long she had been a one time step-child of John’s but the following year 1995 was such a transitional year for the character between Phyllis and finally meeting Victor. 

• Members

At the time personally I remember she was pretty interesting but the Blade/Rick story turned into a confusing mess. Also Abbott family drama was definitely the show’s “D-plot” behind the Newman’s, Christine/Phyllis, and Winters/Hastings storylines at the time. 

In retrospect I definitely have to give Diana Barton great credit for making Mari Jo work as the show’s femme fatale. Her arrival is wonderful with her being a spider and spinning her web as she works her way into the Abbott family. She deserved so much better. I mean of all the Y&R characters, Luan as a rival? As icy and calculating as she could be it’s funny her extremely polite and courteous confrontation with Luan in late 1994 should have made both ladies realize Smiling Jack was no good either of them. The bad casting of Blade also was a major hindrance. Sure Michael Tylo was a daytime name from his days on GL but really Blade should have been played by someone like Peter Reckell, Robert Newman, or yes even Stephen Nichols to make it sexy and charismatic. 

Mari Jo going crazy and shooting Victor was well received however it was also criticized for Mari Jo being out of character to let Jill rot in jail for her crime for a silly motive to shoot Victor was also seen as very weak(especially compared to Brad’s). Maybe if Jill had slept with Ryan and Victor blackmailed her it would’ve been better. 

• Members

Mari Jo was a perfect example of a grey character...neither all good or all bad.  It was a stock character brought to life by Diana Barton.

Making her crazy seemed out of character...but I loved that she managed to find the only way to shut up the bug...keeping her drugged.

Brenda's Ashley should have been her rival as opposed to Luan.  

• Members

Hey guys, just to catch you up, I recently added the full episode March 4, 1997, a bunch of clips from 1997, and some full episodes from March (including the primetime ep), April, June, August, October, and December of 1998. Some are totally new, some we had partials before and I was able to add in the missing parts. It's nice to see that year filling up.

A couple of requests:

The week of March 1998 when Nikki got shot: I went through my old DVDs, and I have one that is erroring out halfway through. It has March 19 and 20th 1998 (I uploaded them but the quality is really bad)) and then it glitches out halfway through March 23, 1998. There's another 2 hours that won't play which I assume is March 24 and 25. Then March 26 was on the vault already, and I added March 27 and 30th from another DVD, so it would be awesome if one of you happen to have any of the ones I'm missing/or in better quality to fill out that week.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone here is the person that uploaded "1991-03-12 Nina gets arrested" a couple of months ago. I meant to ask about it. It never uploaded correctly and I always hoped the person would come back and redo it. I hope the original uploader is on this forum!

I'm not on the Facebook group but if any of you are, feel free to post the request there too!

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by BoldRestless