Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This must be a country thing because they don't show up as deleted for me (in the US). I uploaded these in the vault already (October 10, 1988 and January 24, 1989).  There are also a couple of others that were newer or already available in English (July 3, 1989, July 8, 1992 clip, and May 31, 2007 clip), if you want I will upload them too.  

I really hope someone will come along and fill in more 1988 and 1989 French episodes to fill in the gaps. There was that wonderful angel a few months ago who uploaded Phillip's death in French. It is great to see the scenes even if they are not in English.

• Members

Yes! That ep is at Museum of TV Radio and I’ve seen it. This is the finale episode where she meets “Mother” and Edward blows himself up. Week of 9/25/81. Nikki is miraculously recovered a week later, stripping at the Bayou, where she meets Victor.

• Members

This must have been another strike story - the '81 strike seemed to bring howlers to most of the soaps. 

It's a credit to MTS that she managed to make these OTT plots work and make Nikki feel like a real character. 

• Members

I have to say this episode was actually quite well done…incredible set design and production value. The scenes were horrifying and well-acted.

The poorly written part was Nikki not having any trauma afterwards, and jumping right back on the stripper stage.

• Members

I viewed the stripper part as a way for her to put the trauma out of her mind.  To take back control after what had happened to her.

Wasn't Casey originally stalked by Edward before he fixated on Nikki?  Was that always the plan, or did the actress playing Casey opt to leave so the focus went to Nikki?

And I think I read a synopsis where it sounded like Casey was moving to get away from Edward...he spies her packing, sees Nikki helping her and refocuses his obsession on her.

• Members

I really wish that the Paley center would have made episodes online during the pandemic, lol. I'd have been all over that. I recently read all the SOD recaps from that time and Nikki goes through quite a lot. 

The ordeal apparently lasted for over a week. I'm sure you've read this, but when she realizes who he is, she tries to run away and gets to a cabin to hide,  then pretends she was scared of the woods and is glad Edwards saved her, then he catches on that she knows he's the stalker, drags her out... she runs away and finds campers in the woods and begs for help, but Edward comes along and tells them she's just high on drugs... Nikki doesn't know what else to do, so she asks to meet his mother... and then we get to these scenes. I'd love to see how it was filmed, because we rarely get to see any action scenes pre-1982, and I don't think they did much shooting outside in the 70s at all. I wonder if this is all cheesy outdoor sets or if they did something more cinematic like when Brooks almost drowned.

• Members

They probably wouldn't want to risk tangling with the likes of Sony. It's really up to Sony/Y&R/Bell family to make those episodes available online, the way they did other episodes during the pandemic. Showing it in a contained space is different from streaming, possibly to the world, which would likely violate Sony copyright policy.

It's similar to how the WGA makes Oscar winning and nominated screenplays available in their library onsite, but not on their website. That would likely violate their own protection standards and their duty to their members. Of course, I learned in Grad school, there are other ways to procure scripts from award winning and nominated scripts.

Sony is one of the strictest in enforcing their anti-piracy protections, so my guess is that the Paley Center would not want to risk running afoul of that policy.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Roberta did choose to leave the show. The story started in April 1981. It was focused on Casey but Nikki was somewhat involved. Casey left town in early June 81 and immediately the stalker began harrassing Nikki (who moved into Casey's place just as she left town) So my guess would be the story was transferred.