Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

We've discussed some of Bell's weaker stories mainly in the 90s a lot already, what were some of Bell's weaker stories of the 70s/80s? Obviously Cricket being caught between four different men certainly didn't bode well for some(hello Terry Lester!) while I don't think the Laurence family worked out too much.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwpvEXg60nI

I absolutely LOVE the music cue during the John and Mamie scene. It sounds like one of Y&R's earliest music cues but i had never heard it before i saw this episode. It fits in so perfectly with the dialogue and scenery, and considering i feel like starting around late 1993 is when they started adding in more "Primetimy tunes" and sort of began doing away with more of their 70's music.

I was curious. Did Y&R do a special 20th anniversary show back in 1993 (Like AMC for example) It doesn't look like Y&R does a lot of anniversary specials. I get trying to be different on that part but i wonder if that made longtime viewers angry that they didn't get special flashback shows like the Nixon soaps.

I would also like to know what were some of the least popular stories on Y&R in the 70's and 80's. I personally don't think there could be many since i feel like some of the reasons Bill's later 80's and 90's stories were a little messy was because he was never a fan of the hour format for the show.

Edited by yr9190

• Members

I don't think Y&R has ever done some special anniversary episodes, they did however celebrate some of their jubilees like the 25th and 30th with some anniversary storylines (e.g. 1998: return of Carl Williams/Jill vs. Kay & Phillip's letters) that included lots of past characters and flashbacks galore.

PS: could someone post/embed the January 8, 1993 episode #5?

I'm looking for ways to get around to to see it as YouTube is blocking that clip for me...

Edited by sheilaforever

• Members

In the past some former posters here mentioned stories like Chris and Snapper arguing over furniture, or the cult story Nikki and Peggy were involved in.

The late 70's to early 80's seemed to be seen as a weak period for the show, with declining ratings and aging characters.

I don't know about fan response, but a book on soap lists asked a sociologist type of person to name their ten most offensive soap stories, and they were disgusted by Ashley's abortion storyline, both that she did this for Victor and that she had a complete mental breakdown afterward.

There was also some controversy over the whiteface story.

• Members

I'm very sorry sheilafan. I guess because of that song they play when Ryan and Victoria dance is causing some countries to have that video blocked :(. I know you told me the same thing about the December 10, 1991 #8 episode. SInce im still kind of new to uploading videos, i really dont know how to work around those things yet :( I know May 14 1993 #5 has no sound cause of the Neil/Dru honeymoon video song, I would appreciate it if someone were to tell me how to fix those problems.

• Members

The Tyrone story was an interesting idea but the execution was a debacle.

Viewers began to tire of Lance/Lorie/Lucas/Leslie (much like Victor/Ashley/Nikki/Jack/Brad) once Janice left.

Bill's Cricket love was hated too.

The Suzanne story was a mess.

George/Cassandra/Paul was liked until the story wouldn't end.

A lot of Bill's stories weren't as important as the impact the recasts had on the stories (Eileen/Brenda & Janice/Victoria for instance).

• Members

Yeah...it's so tough for me to know what did or didn't click because I was not watching that day to day. I can see where the Cassandra story, which went on for what, a year, two years? must have exhausted viewers.

What did you think of Jazz? Was he the first black character on the show (or the first to become popular)? I wonder why the show has never considered bringing him back.

Was Suzanne a part of Derek's story (offcamera) from the time he first came on the show or was she made up a few years later? I wonder if they just ran out of ideas with Derek. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.

• Members

Pretty much.

Every time it seemed like the story was over there was a "twist".

It was like the Terroni story with much better actors.

Jazz was fine.

Bill treated the character with integrity (like Nathan) despite the character's background & Jon Elwood was a solid actor.

Suzanne was always a part of Derek's story.

She became a bigger part once she visited GC & decided to stay.

Derek wasn't a bad character but Joe LaDue was miscast.

The character should've been cast with an actor with more personality like Phil Carey or Michael Levin.