Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Funny how we talk about Liz,Katherine Vanessa ,Jennifer or even dina. I wonder if Mary was close with any of these ladies I'm surprised I never seen a scene with Katherine and Mary together or Mary and Liz 

Most of the parents I noticed didn't Interact with each back then

• Members

There's only one scene I know of with Katherine and Mary, and that's when they past by each other at Nikki and Victors wedding in 1984. They say hi to each other, (like two strangers walking past one another) but that's about it. 

• Members

So I guess that was memorable, too.

I hear this repeated often and I still don't get it. The story slowly and gradually reached a conclusion. Just because it didn't have a happy ending doesn't mean it was dropped...

Did he? Maybe that's why Carl never regained his memories.... lol

• Members

While not dropped, it certainly "felt" that way

Please register in order to view this content

and I agree that it wasn't actually good. Some good moments and acting don't make it a great story. But like you said @YRBB maybe because it wasn't "satisfying" that taints it for some? I can understand that. 

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I never said it was a great story. I said it was good.  A solid, interesting story that was well-structured from beginning to end. I was hooked. And, yes, that's what I suspect is mostly the issue here. 

I've never heard this before, so I'll take your word for it, although how you cut a story short a YEAR into it, when you reached a point where he either regains his memories or doesn't, is beyond me! lol Unless the plan was for him to remember and actually do a lot with Carl, which I just can't see happening.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

The story seemed designed from the get-go that Carl wouldn't regain his memory and return to Mary, giving it a "tragic" undertone (which I enjoyed).  But as for the story itself, despite some good dialogue and some high quality acting from Doug Davidson and Carolyn Conwell, it all fell flat with me because I never thought Carl was dead in the first place.  I'd been thinking for 8 years that he was "at the station" or "in the other room", lol.  All of a sudden they were saying he was dead, and then Cricket was telling us, "No, he's not dead", which I didn't think he was anyhow.   Bill Bell just didn't lay quite enough groundwork to make us believe he was dead, IMHO.   

• Members

I wonder who would have been considered a real close friend to Katherine chancellor, I have a list because she had tight individual relationships with alot of characters.

My list would be like Nikki,Jill,Esther, nina, Christine, Amber (for most of the time she was on),Danny, Lauren,John Abbot,Liz,

• Members

It made sense that Mary Williams didn't interact with Katherine because they weren't in the same circles.  It was more organic that the two might pass one another at a social function and say hi to one another without having a deep conversation.

I liked the Carl storyline for a lot of reasons... it explained what happened to Carl, it showed Mary being depressed and finally moving on with her life only to have long thought dead husband Carl come back into the picture... it showed that Carl/Ruth had a good life.. and that Mary had to accept that she found him only to realize that she truly had lost her husband.... and it was the one time Nina was correct that Chris not telling Paul/Mary about her quest would backfire on her... and Paul was upset with her for awhile... and Chris had to admit to Nina that she was wrong and that Nina was right (this is when I knew daddy was no longer writing the show).

• Members

Oh really I need to see that episode and hopefully the charity event they did was seen on screen but oh well what can you do, I guess it's not farfetched that they never spoke considering Katherine interacted with alot but then again didn't cross paths with alot to

And it's not like Katherine was close with any of the other Williams clan I think it would only be Paul, heck she rarely ever interacted with the brooks or Prentiss and they were all on the show together for years lol