Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I enjoyed this story too because it used so much of the show's history. We finally found out what the hell happened to Carl! I was disappointed that it got dropped- what felt- suddenly. All the actors played it beautifully. It did seem that TPTB were thinking of making the Williams family more of a focus. During this time, Mary receives a hang up phone call that we're led to believe is Patty. Of course, we wouldn't see Patty again for many more years until SH played her (That was another waste of great story potential when they painted Patty into a corner. I thought the character was fascinating and could have continued if they hadn't taken her so dark.)

Having Paul kill Ricky, while it provided DD with some great material, was also short-sighted IMO.

• Members

I don't believe it used history, in that Carl's 'death' never happened onscreen so it was weird to have characters talking about something that never occurred!

Then Bell went the amnesia route with Carl followed by everyone else getting amnesia as no-one ever mentioned Carl again.

I would have preferred for Carl reappear with the assumption he had always been around and then have Mary feel a distance between them. Chris discovers that Carl has been seeing Ruth over the years and fallen in love with her, but still feeling loyal to Mary.

This would have been far more realistic. In the end Carl chooses Ruth and leaves town. Paul and Mary have to deal with the aftermath.

• Members

I wonder if the writers will ever revisit Paul's family history because as far as I know it has been kept in the dark for a while so they would really have to invest in a real sorted out storyline for that.

They still til this day never had a send off for Mary or a episode where Paul is dealing with his mom's passing or them developing some material for it, but there quick to bring Patty back and make her kill people for no reason

Well I don't mean in the beginning, I more mean later on because you would see Katherine interacting with Nina and Christine so I would say they have gotten pass the ugly stage they were at

• Members

Knowing Y&R these days, if they ever tried to bring back Carl, they'd turn him into some lunatic who beat the hell out of Mary and molested Patty, causing her to become fixated on having a happy married life with her appointed savior, Jack Abbott.

• Members

Well, on the show Mary's been dead a pretty good while, and they've moved past it.   Remember, when Dina stabbed Nikki and/or torched the Underground last year, Paul was running around angrily threatening to arrest her.   Jack finally told him, "Look, Paul, my mother has Alzheimers.  Think about how you'd feel if this had been Mary, God rest her soul."   The implication was that Mary's been dead a pretty long time. 

• Members

It was always kick when Mary would show up and start her meddling. I remember once she brought sour kraut and spare ribs to Paul and Paul confessed that they gave him gas.....LOL. Doug said Carolyn Conwell was hilarious and he loved working with her. I found this 1998/99 photo of Carolyn with Brett Hadley (Carl). This is during the return storyline. Carolyn's facial expression is odd and funny. 

Image result for brett hadley

• Members

Lol your Soo right they would throw the whole family under the bus that we will all wish they just left the story in it's current state because that would be disappointing and pointless.

I wonder how Mary would have reacted to the fact that Paul and Nikki had Dylan, I'm pretty sure Mary didn't like Nikki back then either 

• Members

They isolated Kay a lot. Makes sense she didn't have many she was close to. I also remember Nikki was pretty isolated during much of the 90's. Or at least barely left the ranch for a long period of time.

Edited by will81

• Members

Partial episode from March 14, 1989. If I'm not mistaken this came from a youtube user  btm85bubs (I saved the episodes but not the channel name). 

I also noticed I have parts 2, 3, and 4 of an episode from 1/27/93.  Total is 27 minutes so there's part 1 and maybe 5-8 out there.

I also have most of 4/8/93... part 2-8 out of 8.  No part 1.  Total running time is 49 minutes with commercials. I think they were all originally from the same user. If anyone happens to have those missing parts, I'll paste them together and upload the whole episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnPqD1rfbZ4

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

Hey everyone just wanted to touch up on something that was posted a few conversations back, I think it was after the 1975 and 1978 episodes were posted someone said they found some copies of 1983. Just wanted to follow up hopefully we still get to see them I guess

1983 was basically the new revived beginning for y&r because we all know that was coming from the transition period.