Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

shielaforever, I had to laugh about Considine looking like a mexican gigolo! LOL In the 70's, you'll find the lighting varied from episode to episode, with everything taking a decidedly darker turn in 1975. Here you see the darker lighting in the Pierre/Sally scenes. Conboy did tend to light the Chancellor mansion brighter to show it off. I believe even with the live to tape episode they usually taped 2 weeks in advance, so the airdate most likely would have been February 2-6, around in there. They didn't do the "hearing the charcter's thoughts" in every episode, this was just a "theme" episode in that respect, but I like hearing the chraracters thoughts like that. The camera work had been perfected by 75, and everything had perfect dissolves and great shots. This was still early enough that this episode is one that Bill Bell wrote completely by himself, it shows how truly great he was.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks for the intel!

You're definitely right about Bill Bell single handedly writing this episode. He had not even met Kay Alden around that time, meaning he wrote this episode completly by himself alongside DAYS where he still was headwriter for 1 1/2 + years... But this also proves that despite being very exhausting to write a show alone or with one or two people alongside the road, you can also deliver your idea much more precisely onscreen than today. That's probably one of the perks of those David E. Kelley-shows who is the only one still following this formula.

Anyone bother to type up a cast list for this episode? :-)

So who played Therese the maid and Hazel???

Edited by sheilaforever

• Members

Alphanguy74 Thank you so much for this awesome episode. I love everything about it. Hearing the vintage lush background music makes me sad they no longer use it on the show. Little did Kay know that the minute Jill stepped foot in her home, her life would never be the same again.

I wonder why they replaced John Considine as Phillip ? If he had stayed in the role, they could have gotten his brother Tim to play his brother on the show.

I noticed that it being taped live the Mrs.Foster/Mrs.Chancellor flub by Brenda and the music edit when they skipped ahead to the part of the song they wanted to finish the closing scene with Jill.

• Members

I have to say I think I watched this episode about 7 times by now! LOL

So what I'm also wondering, if Snapper had just gotten married to Chris around this time, wouldn't the Brooks be able to help out the Fosters with their financial problems? at the same time I can see them offering to help and Liz declining but I was just curious.

• Members

You are not the only one that has watched this multiple times. I love the background music, especially the theme playing when Jill is looking at the magazine daydreaming before Hazel comes in. I could put that on a loop and listen to it over and over. I remember them using most of the 70's themes on up to the 90's. It's a shame they got stupid and dumped them. I started watching the show as a child around 1979/80. The opening credits with the sketches was used up till 1988 when artist Sandy DeVore retired and they switched to the live action shots. They have kept Sandy's Y&R logo that debuted around 1984.

I wondered that too if the Brooks wanted to help the Fosters. I know Stuart wanted to help Snapper & Chris many times, but Snapper's pride wouldn't let him accept charity. Stuart & Snapper were often at odds due to the fact that Snapper fathered Sally's baby out of wedlock. Stuart also felt that Greg was the better match for his daughter Chris and encouraged him to persue her several times over the years. There was a stupid soryline in the early 80's where Chris wanted new furniture and Stuart gave Chris the money to redecorate. Snapper had a fit and I think she wound up having to take everything back. Stuart also suggested one time she and Snapper move into the Brooks home and he get himself a place to live. Snapper told him to shove it.

• Members

I am intrigued by the character of Theresa and wonder how long she was around.In just a few lines of dialogue, we got the sense that she was closely attached to Mrs C. I wonder if Bill Bell was thinking of setting up a rivalry between her and Jill.It would have added another dimension to the story. Did Bill tire of Sally or did Lee Crawford want to leave? When she was brought back in the early 80's nothing much came of it. Imagine if she hooked up with Greg and became part of the Foster family.Greg would have become a father figure to Snapper's son and all sorts of angst could have played out.

• Members

Thanks for finding those!

I have to say.....after watching the latest collection of classic Y&R dvds i just got today, F**K CBS/SONY!!!!......I'm gonna make sure these episodes get online somehow and those greedy MoFo's can Kiss my A**......sorry for cursing like that, but I just watch some of the greatest episodes out of all the other classic episodes I collected and there's just no way I cannot let you guys go without seeing them!.....I was literally crying during this one Katherine scene on a 1990 episode. Made me miss Jeanne even more! :(