Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That was a story where Carole and her husband Skip wanted to adopt a baby (he had a low sperm count). Wert was the biological father, who'd come back into Nan's life. I think she was hoping for a future with Jeff and the baby.

• Members

That's weird....and that was also around the time Neil was an alcoholic right, so I doubt Neil would care too much about who Victor or Jack invited. haha.

I really wish I had the 1993 July 4th episode. I think that's when Jill and Katherine were arguing because Kay crashed the BBQ or something and Jill suddenly went into labor and had Billy.

I also want to see it because I read that Lauren was included in the festivities that year, when she is usually absent from those sort of events.

• Members

Eileen's Ashley so often comes off as cold and judgmental when I watch her. I have a very hard time getting through her scenes in this episode.

Other than that, it was a good episode - Victor and Nikki at their most touching and innocent, great Lauren bitchery, and the Jill/John conflict is organic, although I'm sorry that once again a woman not wanting a child was used to show her flaws.

• Members

Thanks for sharing those 1984 videos Carl. Always like seeing young Lauren with her bad sexy self and always enjoy seeing Brenda's Jill pre-Alexis Jill phase. I had forgotten about that ladder story, I think there was big ambiguity over whether or not Jill's fall was an accident or not due to the fact the baby was possibly Jack's. I guess Jill did make up for it in the end with Billy a decade later.

I'm not sure when the sainthood of Katherine began, growing up she was always a wicked old lady to me. If I had to pick a point in time when it started, my guess is when Katherine went into hiding and wound up in the homeless shelter with Mac.

• Members

I wonder sometimes if it was because she married Rex. After that the character mostly just has a few phases of harsher attitude (like her wrangling with Jill during the Jill/John custody fight).

I rag on ED Ashley quite a bit but I did enjoy her more in that second 1984 episode. She was more balanced.

• Members

Eileen did some of her best work opposite Marla Adams.

It's a shame Y&R won't offer her a contract.

Rex wasn't the problem.

After Nina married Ryan (providing Phillip with a stable father figure) Katherine rarely initiated fights with Jill.

She was happy being rich & married (unlike Jill who thrived on drama & was envious of Katherine's life).

Most of Jill's problems from her second marriage to John up until now stem from Jill's inability to be happy with herself.

It was LML who made Katherine into Super Businesswoman then MAB turned her into Mother Teresa.

• Members

It was poorly plotted.

Tucker could have been a great addition to Y&R if Maria hadn't used him to replace Jill.

He & Katherine could have had a complex relationship (even with retcons & recasts) but all they ever got to play were the same three beats (Tucker make bad business deals, Katherine hates Tucker, they reconcile) during his tenure on the show.

But the same problem that plagued the Chancellors is the same problem plaguing every non-Newman family. There is no thought to those families as individual units or the show as an ensemble.

Under Bell & Alden each family on the canvas had distinct rhythms & functioned as a part of a larger whole. Now they only exist to cause angst for the Newmans (which is one of the reasons Brad had to go).

• Members

Deeedee I was wondering if you could sort of explain this, it's about Katherine and Victor's relationship.

Where exactly does the idea come from that Katherine can say whatever she wants to Victor and get away with it? I know they are always tight (Which makes me sick everytime they share scenes together) but has there ever actually been any major scenes involving Katherine totally ripping Victor apart for his actions. The little scenes I can make of that, is that Katherine in a way seems to be Victor's conscience, but for someone who doesn't put up with any crap, Victor seems to get a free pass in all he has done to Nikki and the Abbotts (which John and Katherine seemed more close in the old days, Katherine hardly had any scenes with Victor in all the episodes I have collected myself) did Katherine ever try to convince Victor to stop trying to steal Jabot from the Abbotts?

Edited by yr9190